1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Vigour, May 8, 2005.

1. Vigour

Vigour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New to this forum dont have a clue what section to post this in, you all seem pritty technical!

Anyway i have 2 Pioneer SX430 speakers (cant find any info on them) all i know is they are 170w each impendance 8ohm

i also have a Pioneer A-x530 which i also can't find any info on, i have a feeling this amp just isnt using the speakers to the full power.

Looking at most amps in my price range they say 60w per channel, now if these are 170w each speaker surely that amp isnt enough?

total beginner here so i need it explaining all the specification jagron.

basically just think i need a new amp 1 that will use the speakers to full potential thanks!

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Welcome to the forums.

The 170W quoted is the maximum power handling of the speakers so you'll do no harm feeding them less but it goes without saying that a higher power amp will do a better job.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. Vigour

Vigour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply & welcome!

The pioneer amp i have is a "home" hifi amp as i could put it, now each channel im pritty sure can't be 170w! making it a 340w amp???? am i right?

So is it underpowering the speakers?

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Vigor,

Amp manufacturers have a habit of over-quoting their amp specification. They are either created in unrealistic scenarios, or at an outrageously high THD (Total Harmonic Distortion), or create a new power rating method or … Anyway, for most intensive purposes they are worthless for the novice to decipher. Bigger is not necessarily best.

I will also qualify the above that not all manufacturers are prone to this activity.

I would think that if your speakers are rated at 8ohm, and are reasonably efficient, I wouldn’t be at all concerned by the “quoted power” of the amp.

5. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    I must say I agree with what Harry T2 says, in that some amp manufacturers will vastly overrate their power outputs - you should always look out for for RMS power statements and forget the rest.

He is also quite right to point out an error I made when I stated that but it goes without saying that a higher power amp will do a better job. What I really should have said was something like, if you campare two amps from the same manufacturer, then it should be pretty safe to say that the higher power one will do a better job as you can play it at lower levels and hence cause less distortion, etc.

Cheers,

Martin.

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Martin,

I also agree with what you are saying, but there are always exceptions.

Taking the Marantz PM 7200 as an example. Quoted at 95W per channel in Class AB mode, and 25W per channel in Class A mode.

I want go into the benefits of class A amplification over class AB (or any other type), but add it as another example of where the specification can be misleading.

In most situations (given reasonably sensitive speakers, and a moderate listening conditions), only a couple of watts of power is needed (or used). That does not mean that more power is a bad thing, just that is shouldn’t be the only criteria for an amp selection.

7. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Hi Harry,

Yes, you are of course correct in what you say - just shows what a minefield this hobby of ours can be, doesn't it?

I think we've flogged this one long enough, and are probably boring the pants off vigour.

Cheers,

Martin.