New Amp

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bazkav, Jul 8, 2015.

1. bazkav

bazkav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thinking of selling my pioneer SC-LX57 amp and getting one of the new Onkyo DTS X compatible amps looking at the tx- NR646 at about £550. I am leaning towards DTS X as opposed to Dolby Atmos is because I already have 9 B&W M1 speakers set up as a 9.2 configuration, and I don't want to really start having to add more speakers to accommodate Atmos.
    I realise the Onkyo amp is a lot cheaper than mine was when I first purchased it about 18 months ago but time and technology move on. I now own a Sony 65" 4K TV and would be interested in buying a 4k BD Player later this year.
    I really don't know what kind of price I could expect to get for my pioneer or even if changing these amps would be a good idea but I would appreciate any advice any body on these forums could offer.
    Thanks.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    The Onkyo is not going to give you the same sound quality as your Pioneer. So you will be getting a few extra bells and whistles but a big downgrade in sound quality. Personally I would prefer the better sound quality. On the 4K BD player front I would just look to get one with a dual HDMI output so one goes to the TV and the other to your Pioneer.

3. bazkav

bazkav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    This is true but I will never able to use DTS X on my pioneer. Also my previous amp the lx 55 which I sold to my son in law being only 3 years old has just been getting the dreaded ue 22 fault.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    But dts x is not going to make up for inferior sound quality. Also onkyo do not have the best reputation for reliability either with lots of hdmi board failures after a few years. Also make sure the onkyo is fully compliant with the new 4k bd specs since not all 4k ready kit is.

5. bazkav

bazkav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well we won't be seeing any new pioneer av amps any time soon, since they have been sold to Onkyo.
    To be fair it's hard to be objective about the sound quality of the pioneer amps I have owned, because I also thought the quality of my old Onkyo 875 sounded really good, as did my old school Sony 333es which was my first introduction to 7.1 audio. Back then that amp cost me £ 850.00 only £150.00 cheaper than my present Pionner.
    I don't think it's easy to judge sound quality fully when you live in a semi detached house ( neighbour considerations)
    At the moment I run a pair of B&W ASW650 subs probably complete overkill but once you get the AV bug it's hard to shake it off.