1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new amp...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mr Cat, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi Folk's,
    I'm after an new stereo i=amp - given my existing kit, what do you think I should go for..?
    My initial choice is -
    Nad c320cbee
    Rotel ra-01
    Marantz pm7200
    Cambridge audio 640 (the new one, for 250 notes!)
    Or some other at same price, or second hand..?

My music style is mainly indie, dance, ambient - not normally at excessive volumes, and I will demo where possible…

I don't want the music to be too harsh, or bright sounding either!
    Cheers!

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    You got the rear speakers sorted yet?

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    not yet, want better stereo sound first off...:cool:

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Look out for a 2nd hand Arcam then.
    I have a Marantz SR4200, one of the most musical AV amps of its day. Stereo play back was greatly improved by adding an Arcam alpha 7 integrated.

You really need some rear speakers though for dvds.:smoke:

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I'd second the Arcam option.
    I got a secondhand Alpha 8R & 8P (to bi-amp the speakers) for around £200 and they made a great improvement to sterio music. If you don't want to bi-amp then you should be able to get an 8R for around £100 from e-bay.

Mark.

6. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Scour e-bay for an Alpha 9. Then add the 9P and a DSP later. A good nick A9 should go for about £190-240. If you don't like "bright" kit then the budget amps are probably not for you unless you partner one very carefully front end, and speaker wise.

Try a dem with the Rotel RA-01 and NAD C32BEE against an Arcam A65 to see if you like the characteristic Arcam sound. The Marantz amps are nice but can sound "Lazy", and don't like to be pushed!!

Out of interest hifibitz are doing the NAD C350 for £269.

7. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The comment on marantz amps dont like being "pushed" is abit of a exaggeration-it sounds like you mean marantz amp in general!The only bad marantz amps ive heard are the pm6010 ose(very lazy) and the 4200 and its successors.The pm7200,pm7000 and pm6010Ki sig are all fantastic amps IMHO and the pm7200 in particular really sings with the volume knob at 12 o clock! If you dont want bright sounding kit then avoid the Rotel RA-01-nice little amp for rock and dance but it does tend to sound over bright.The Nad 320BEE is warm and neutral but not very exciting.I think the arcam will be your best choice,very refined and clean sound,if not the last word in outright power and authority but u can add a P75+ power amp at a later date.The pm7200 is fantastic but has a very slight brightness,this is fine if you have refined partnering kit and if thats the case it is hard to beat.Best way to decide is to have a demo and trust your own ears.

Zoolander:D

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Zoolander, i'm giving advice based on my experience, & on friends still in the trade, not on a personal basis/bias. Which i'm afraid to say, a couple of your posts on Marantz amps have convinced me you are. The PM7200 HAS been pulled up for getting a little stretched when pushed too hard. Sorry, but it has.

I apologise for not stating clearly that i was refering to the budget Marantz amp in the same price bracket he was looking at, but i thought that would be fairly obvious as the SIG series are way beyond what he is looking to spend. No?

You will also note i don't run down products but suggest alternatives - based on what the poster has requested. This applies to Marantz the same as everybody else.

9. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can i be biased if i recommended the ARCAM a65+?I do rate the pm7200 as i have heard a wide range of amps at that price and to me it was the best all rounder,all IMHO of course.Not trying to start an argument,but i have heard the pm7200 with a range of kit and it doesnt even tap out at 12 o clock which is ear bleedingly loud,so god knows how loud you listen to your music!I suppose it all depends on what speakers are being used,i found that with small standmounts such as the mission m71 things do get abit coloured when pushed hard,but with larger speakers such as the B&W602 s3,it stays clean and controlled even at very high volumes. I was just suggesting the Ki sig should be a very good amp as most of the past marantz Ki sig models did deliver,i was not ordering him to buy 1!:confused:

zoolander:D

10. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Bingo!! When most test's are done you tend to partner them with similair priced components. As you do when customers set out a budget. Bigger (with notable exceptions, the AE1's for example)and better speakers normally offer a "fuller" sound but it's not worth spending big bucks on them as more detail will only come with a better front end and amp. So, the original statement stands.

Never said you were. It's just that the orginal poster specified a price point and theres no point going beyond it.

I mean why suggest Jags, when someones specified a Mini budget? I don't mean to be rude, or jump on people, but i've contributed for a few years now (God i'm sad!) to a PC forum where people do that very thing!! Now i've seen it here a few times, and GOD, it makes me so maaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!:D