New amp wanted - HK Citation, NAD C338 or C368

gavinbullstag

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

As per other posts, I've just moved house and doing away with 5.1 for the time being so going from a Yamaha RVX1067 and 2067 in favour of straight audio.

I originally fancied a NAD C700 but I'm going to be able to have the lounge how I want so not worth spending that kind of money plus I can save some for a bar build at a later date.

I've been mulling over a NAD C 368 but I don't know whether it's worth for reasons above.

Which leaves me with the C338 which I like the idea of as it chrome cast built in. It'll be predominantly TV use and Spotify.

As a Leftfield choice I've stumbled across the HK Citation. They get good reviews and seem punchy for the money and a neat solution (space is a little limited).

I'll be trying out some B & W M1s I have plus Dali Zensor 1s, both with a BK Gemini II.

Any thoughts on the HK and C338? Anyone directly compared?

Thanks

Yeah the NAD C338 sounds really good and with budget in mind a really good option. I think m1 would not get the best from the nad and the Dali Zensors would definitely be better or b&w wise the 607s2 or maybe in the price range, the Acoustic Energy ae300s

Last edited:
NAD C700 vs C388 is from my understanding just less current. Both have super neutral sound NAD has this days....

Compared to C370, C352 which sound warmer with more mid range punch.

Cheers. I am intrigued by the HK mind but equally, the NAD really appeal as I'd prefer 'proper' hifi

NAD C338, sorry wrong amplifier. Not C388. I’ve listed to NAD amplifiers at my local hifi shop.

Nice sound. Super precise bass, clean midrange treble. I think it’s bit lean sounding. Am not saying it sounds bad. Far from it. It’s just that for me C399 is where NAD shines.

Cheers. I guess the C338nis rates at 50WPC but can dig deeper Vs 125WPC of the HK. Plus I have the sub.

Seeing as you're after an amp and a pair of speakers and are tight on space, a more space efficient solution might look a bit like this:

There are a few similar powered/active speaker designs with multiple switched inputs, incl Bluetooth, but this seems to be best value based on many rave reviews:

If you like the look of the HK Citation, I doubt the appearance of the Edifier S3000Pro will float your boat, but in terms of audio quality and versatile connectivity, it can't be bettered at under a grand. Life is full of compromises.

If you like the format but not the appearance, other manufacturers like Dynaudio, KEF, Q Acoustics etc sell similar products. And if you can accept another "box", a pair of active studio nearfield monitors connected through a digital preamp, such as:

...would also give excellent audio quality (and would be my personal choice). I haven't heard the HK Citation. Clearly, it's a lifestyle type product so there will be a cost penalty to pay. Reviewers of these sort of products rarely compare their sound quality with more conventional-format alternative products - there's a reason for that! Then again, perhaps I'd be pleasantly surprised if I heard them.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks very much. I had a Topping VX2 for a while which was brilliant.

Those edifier look good and had a great review. I think I am wedded to a more traditional arrangement but I appreciate your time giving me these options.

Will update once I've made a decision.

I was tired when I answered in this tread.

What exactly are you after?

New amplifier to match the current speakers, subwoofer.

If so it could be wise to buy an amplifier with bass management.

No subwoofer pro, but many members are.

Good news is NAD and Dali is great combination.

You don’t consider Powernode?

The Nad is a splendid amp.

Do not worry about it’s ‘50’ watts. That is not really how to measure an amps power delivery ability.

The C338 flings out a peak power at nearly double the 50W into 8ohms (90W) and 150W into 4 ohms.

Quite impressive for a £500 amp. But just normal for Nad.

I’d suggest better speakers than the Zensors if you can stretch to it.

If you can find some used Opticons or Oberons they would get more out of the Nad.

If you’re going to use the B&W M1s I’d suggest a more budget amp, the Nad would be a bit wasted on them.

These are a bargain for instance, unless white is an issue?

And these,

Or indeed these.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If you’d prefer to stick with the Zensors, or certainly the M1s, then I’d suggest you save yourself some money on the amp.

This one will do a good job.

Fine speakers mentioned above. NAD does have an impressive power supply.

I remember my old NAD C350. Beast of an amplifier.

From my understanding Powernode is “tweaked” NAD being they are sister companies.

I believe reviews online claims it can rival the M10.

Thanks again all.

To be clear I am mulling over different situations. I like the idea of keeping the B & W M1s as they are a neat solution but it's telling I've not even tried them yet. I suppose the balance is 70% sound quality and ability to party/30% neat and if possible an amp solution way smaller than the existing yamaha amp which is massive.

I have thought about upgrading the speakers.

I am swinging back to NAD either C338 or C368 and a pair of Opticon 1s or 2s. Plus retaining the BK sub.

The M1s will not have the SPL for any serious partying. They’re likely to fry first.

If you do mean serious partying I’d also suggest the bigger Opticon 2s rather than the 1s. Or perhaps the Oberon 3s.

Both are an easier drive than the Opticon 1s and can take more of a thrashing because of their better power handling.

In ordinary domestic service it would not matter so much, but as soon as the ‘party’ Notion bites then power handling and sensitivity both need to be considered.

Obviously a sub is always welcome, party or otherwise, and the BK is a very good one. 👍

Thanks mate.

Another factor is one of the speakers will be to the left of our TV in the corner. For neatness I'd rather wall mount which rules out the Opticon 2 but I may be able to resort to stands which brings the 2s back into play.

Annoyingly our TV unit was due to be delivered this morning but its been cancelled so it puts me back a few days.

Will. Keep you posted.

Hi all, an update to where I am now. I've bought some Option 2 mk 1 to replace the Zensor 1s which I'm selling along with my Yamaha 1067.

For the time being I'm going to keep my Yamaha 2067 and use that in 2.1 with my BK Gemini II.

I still fancy upgrading to a NAD. Annoyingly I hesitated over an ex demo C700 at £900 and missed it but I'm thinking I may go for a C368 or C388 if I can stretch to it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom