• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New amp to replace my blown svs plate amp

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
Thought you guys would be the best people to ask.
My plate amp has failed on my svs 20-39 pc+

It's a 525 watt bash amp.

Now I'm wondering if there's a suitable off board amp for example I can buy for less than £150.

Svs will send me a new amp for around £170 but I may still be hit on import tax on top.

hoppaz

Thought you guys would be the best people to ask.
My plate amp has failed on my svs 20-39 pc+

It's a 525 watt bash amp.

Now I'm wondering if there's a suitable off board amp for example I can buy for less than £150.

Svs will send me a new amp for around £170 but I may still be hit on import tax on top.

Have you checked the plug fuse and inboard amp fuses to see if they have broken (I guess it has them, any well designed amp would)?

You wont be able to find an amp to the same spec or cut out otherwise I would guess.

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
Yes tried the obvious stuff. :(
Turned it on there was a little pop like a fuse going and it died. however both fuses have been checked.

Due to the size I thought an off board amp would be an option. Of course of its going to run to the same sort of cost I may aswell get the replacement amp from SVS.

The uk supplier placed an estimate of around £500 to replace the amp with shipping costs from svs to lv sound to then frank harvey.

Svs offered to send direct however

Shipping cost would be $78.00 via FedEx.and they state " Please be aware that this quote is for prepaid shipping *only*. Any taxes, duties, brokerage, administrative, etc. fees are your responsibility."

So I could be stuck with a big bill when it gets here after already paying out more than I can really afford.
The current price for the amp is $225

hoppaz

Yes tried the obvious stuff. :(
Turned it on there was a little pop like a fuse going and it died. however both fuses have been checked.

Due to the size I thought an off board amp would be an option. Of course of its going to run to the same sort of cost I may aswell get the replacement amp from SVS.

The uk supplier placed an estimate of around £500 to replace the amp with shipping costs from svs to lv sound to then frank harvey.

Svs offered to send direct however

Shipping cost would be $78.00 via FedEx.and they state " Please be aware that this quote is for prepaid shipping *only*. Any taxes, duties, brokerage, administrative, etc. fees are your responsibility."

So I could be stuck with a big bill when it gets here after already paying out more than I can really afford.
The current price for the amp is $225

If LFE and any EQ id off board you sould look to get a peice of MDF cut to side and then seal amp opening and then just run the sub from a dj amp of same power and ohm-age? Maybe otherwise look for a local electronics engineer to quote a repair?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom