1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New amp to replace E800/A400?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by bobones, May 13, 2003.

1. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been thinking about upgrading my av/hifi kit and would appreciate some suggestions regarding suitable pieces of equipment.

My current kit is as follows:

Amplification: Pioneer A400 2 channel amp, Yamaha E800 processor
    Speakers: Front - Dynaudio Audience 50, Rear - Mission M70, Centre - speaker in Sony KP44PS2 RPTV, REL Strata II sub.
    Sources: Toshiba 210 DVD, Rotel RCD965BX cd player, Technics tuner, Mitsubishi VCR, Nokia 221T freeview box.

I've been really happy with my A400 amp for music reproduction and it's served me well for around 12 years now (it was a classic in its time), but I'm wondering if a new av receiver might give me good enough all round performance to allow me to ditch the A400. The E800 has also been excellent, but it is a bit sparse on features such as Dolby ProLogic II. I don't do video switching at the processor/amp

My room is around 15x13 and the existing kit has more than enough power.

Can anyone recommend a AV receiver to replace the E800, A400 and tuner that will give me noticeable improvements for dvd playback? (I could stretch to around £800 for the av receiver). Should I keep the A400 for 2-channel music reproduction?

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    How about either the NAD T752 or the Arcam AVR200. Both don't have all the bangs and whistles features of the Denons and Pioneers of the market place ... but are considered superior for 2 channel music reproduction. Other amps to consider would be Marantz SR7300 and Harmon Kardon along with the Sony 555, Denon 3803 and Pioneer 2011. The Onkyo is also good for movies ... but I understand is let down by its music playback which is poor compare with its competition.

Alternatively, keep the A400, and buy a mid range AV amp like the Marantz SR5300, Denon 2803, Pioneer 912 - using it just like you did the E800. Also worth considering would be getting a "real" centre instead of using the speakers in your TV ... even a cheep one from Richer Sounds would be an improvement ... but best would be something to tonally match the Dynaudio you have for left and right.

Best thing would be take the A400 along to your local dealer and demo a few options - see where you are prepared to compromise and have to compromise the least.

Vikki

3. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the advice. You're right, nothing beats trusting your own ears in a good demo environment.

BTW, I already have a "real" centre speaker - an old Mission 73C, but I find the speakers in the KP44PS2 are clearer for dialogue and have more weight and oomph than the Mission. There aren't any convenient places to mount a centre with this RPTV so I'm grateful I have the option of using the tv speakers for the centre channel. I guess the Mission might do as a centre rear in a 6.1 setup.

Thanks again. I've now got plenty to look into.