new amp - time to enter the new millenium?

BG1973

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

New here so hello to all.

I am here for some opinions.. my current amp set up is audiolab 8000LX and 8000P bi-amped driving treble and bass respectively. The LX is in need of repair as I have lost a channel.

My question is do i get it repaired or do I have a look at some of the more modern equipment on the market. Maybe a decent integrated like the Roksan Kandy, something from cyrus etc..

Would these amps be an inprovement on my current set up?

I'm aware it would be a lot cheaper just to get the amp repaired but now could be the time to enter the new millenium.

cheers

Last edited:
what are the speakers?

My question is do i get it repaired or do I have a look at some of the more modern equipment on the market. Maybe a decent integrated like the Roksan Kandy, something from cyrus etc..

Would these amps be an inprovement on my current set up?

Don’t be fooled into thinking things have moved on light years since you bought your Audiolabs.

Whether something is an improvement is pretty much down to you. I’ve not heard any Roksan gear but hated the “shoe box” cdp/amp I listened to.

:)

What do you dislike about your current setup ??

If the answer is that you like it then just get the amp repaired.

As has been said, things have not moved on by light years in amplifiers. Infact not much since about 1990 really.

The speakers were always pretty reasonable although a little bit too plasticky in sound quality compared to a good doped paper cone and the tweeter was not too shabby considering it was a metal dome.

So you could do better with the speakers if you wanted to go looking for some extra. However, you might find that the amp no longer works as well. The Audiolabs have a very grey and neutral quality that tends to cover some speaker problems while accentuating others.

They say there is very little new in audio - it's just that new materials (such as those used for some speaker cones) do the same things better.

If you like what you're hearing, I agree with the others, get the amp repaired. Only if you want to spend serious money, should you look for something else. Inevitably if you change the amp, you might not be happy with the speakers - and so it goes on.

Inevitably if you change the amp, you might not be happy with the speakers - and so it goes on.

And on, and on, and on until you reach a point where either (or both) the bank manager or the wife refuse to let you spend any more money.

:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom