Question New amp, subwoofer not working...please help a noob!

goonergaz

Distinguished Member
Okay, so long story short - I was having odd issues with my old AV amp (Sony DAVS300) so I bought a new one (Pioneer VSX329). I wanted to use the old speakers to save some cash but the subwoofer isn't working.

The old amp had bespoke plugs which I've snipped off and all speakers are working except the subwoofer. I don't know much/anything about subwoofers - but for the record this one doesn't plug into the mains.

Anyway, I've tried switching things around and testing, the subwoofer actually works attached to one of the other outputs and the lead is fine (I tried switching to another output to test). I also tested the subwoofer output on one of the small speakers and couldn't hear anything. In short it seems the amp isn't outputting to the subwoofer.

My question is how can I confirm this? Is it just that I need a specific type of subwoofer for this type of amp? Or on my old amp I could send a 'noise' to each channel but I can't seem to find the same function on this amp.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Edit, ok, I found the way to make the noise test on each channel and can confirm the subwoofer out doesn't seem to be working. I just can't be 100% sure until someone can confirm I should get something from a small speaker (ie I don't need a special type of speaker for subwoofer)

Edit 2 - seems pretty conclusive I need an active sub with RCA socket, if anyone can confirm before I waste money I'd appreciate it :D

Last edited:

quatter

I would say you've hit the nail squarely on the head.

Tom @ PSA

AVForums Sponsor
Okay, so long story short - I was having odd issues with my old AV amp (Sony DAVS300) so I bought a new one (Pioneer VSX329). I wanted to use the old speakers to save some cash but the subwoofer isn't working.

The old amp had bespoke plugs which I've snipped off and all speakers are working except the subwoofer. I don't know much/anything about subwoofers - but for the record this one doesn't plug into the mains.

Anyway, I've tried switching things around and testing, the subwoofer actually works attached to one of the other outputs and the lead is fine (I tried switching to another output to test). I also tested the subwoofer output on one of the small speakers and couldn't hear anything. In short it seems the amp isn't outputting to the subwoofer.

My question is how can I confirm this? Is it just that I need a specific type of subwoofer for this type of amp? Or on my old amp I could send a 'noise' to each channel but I can't seem to find the same function on this amp.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Edit, ok, I found the way to make the noise test on each channel and can confirm the subwoofer out doesn't seem to be working. I just can't be 100% sure until someone can confirm I should get something from a small speaker (ie I don't need a special type of speaker for subwoofer)

Edit 2 - seems pretty conclusive I need an active sub with RCA socket, if anyone can confirm before I waste money I'd appreciate it :D
Which subwoofer are you using?

Tom V.

goonergaz

Distinguished Member
The Sony sub, anyway - doesn't matter now - my 'new' sub arrived (Yamaha FSW050) and it's working fine so as I figured out it was the amp type - thanks anyway :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom