New amp recommendation

joaocastilho

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need a new amp for my PSB Alpha P5 passive speakers. Hopefully you can give me some suggestions and clarify some of these questions.

For the amp I want to make sure it supports digital inputs since I want to have a Chromecast Audio connected to it so I can cast Spotify.
It also needs to have pre amp integrated so I can connect my turntable to it.

I also have a limitation on height of 15cm due to the shelve its going to be on (so no Yamaha's since they seem to be 15cm) - price range 250£ - 350£:
  • Onkyo A-9130 Integrated Amplifier - has digital inputs and is not a bad brand
  • Marantz PM6006 UK Edition - better sound and build than the Onkyo but some users have reported some noise in the digital inputs:
    Marantz PM6006 UK - buzzing on digital inputs solved?
  • Cambridge Audio Topaz sr20 - could be a good alternative but can only get it refurbished not sure if that's risky
  • Any other recommendation that would fit my needs for the amp around this price range?
Some questions:
  1. Will a refurbish amp be a risk or is it completely safe to buy refurbish?
  2. Will the Marantz or the Cambridge Audio be able to power the P5s?
  3. Do I connect the TV to the digital inputs too? Or should it be another type of connection? RCA?
  4. Is this the expected way of casting music to the speakers by connecting the Chromecast Audio to the digital inputs of the amp?
  5. Will the amp shut down when idle - if no music is playing through it? Will it turn on automatically as soon as I start casting from Spotify?
  6. Will the amp switch the source automatically if I'm playing the TV and then decide to cast something or play a record with the turntable? What do I need to achieve this?
Thank you so much for giving your opinion on some of these.
Really appreciate.

If you can stretch to £439 you could consider the Marantz NR1200. This would support Spotify directly and gives other network/streaming features you may find useful. This includes automatic switch on and off with your TV (via HDMI CEC control). Well worth stretching your budget.

If you can stretch to £439 you could consider the Marantz NR1200. This would support Spotify directly and gives other network/streaming features you may find useful. This includes automatic switch on and off with your TV (via HDMI CEC control). Well worth stretching your budget.

Really interesting. So the other amps don't have the swirch on/off you mention?
How about the switch source automatically on music casting?

As far as I know the others you mentioned are "dumb" so have no automatic input switching. Most streaming amplifiers or receivers will turn on as soon as you stream to them (or use the App to select a streaming service or source). In general all receivers with HDMI connections will be able to turn on and off automatically when the TV is turned on and off. A really useful feature that is non-technical partner friendly!

I’ve heard the Onkyo and have owned the Marantz so can help answer a few questions but not all. The Marantz is musically better than the Onkyo in my opinion. The buzzing issue with the Marantz seemed to affect a few amplifiers in an early batch. I had no issues with it all. It has the same DAC as the CD6006 so it’s very good. The Marantz will go into standby automatically if not used but will not automatically switch inputs: that has to be done manually or by remote. The Marantz has 45 Watts which is plenty for everyday listening in a decent sized room. I haven’t heard the CA amp so can’t compare I’m afraid.

I actually liked the Marantz NR1200 suggestion and now I'm considering this.
Are there other amps I should be considering that provides same functionality at same price?

How would the amp paired with a BW 607 for music and movies? and with a Alpha P5?

Bought the NR1200 last week to hook up to my Panasonic GZ950 & can post that I am very pleased with my purchase.

No problems driving my Dali Oberon 5's & can't stop playing CD's as they sound absolutely marvellous. Streamed music via Spotify doesn't sound too shabby either.

Can't answer about auto turn off function as not noticed & TBH it wouldn't be a deal breaker or even a consideration to me to have to press an extra button, but each to their own.

Onkyo 9130 is ridiculously good for the price. I got mine on ebay for £150. My expectations were very low due to it being rated at 30W per channel but at this price I couldn't not try. It turned out to be very good with solid punch. Paired with Mission QX3 and looking at their membranes jumping out of their place the amp seems to be driving them to their limits without loosing control over the bass. I'd definitely recommend this combination, especially for playing the music loud but I'd go with QX4 for more bass at low volume.

Always easy to do this but if you could raise the buget a bit more you would be mad to not consider the Rotel A11 Tribute. Never been a huge fan of Onkyo from a purely sonic / musical perspective. But, we are all unique and our hears would seem to be attuned to different things so one man's hifi "tosh" is someone elses "delight". Which is why I am a strong advocate of going out and listening. Don't worry about what the various experts / store people tell you is good - let your own ears decide what you like. Because it's not just the physical act of listening but it's also the emotional and personal preferences we have for styles and emphases in the tone and sound of music that make us all unique. That's both the joy and the frustration of this hobby!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom