1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New amp qeury and PLII problem: marantz 4200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ultimatenyle, Aug 26, 2002.

Tags:
  1. ultimatenyle

ultimatenyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got myself a sr 4200 which sounds great but there seems to be a couple or so 'quirks' with it.

1)
    when set in DPL or DPLII sound only comes from the centre speaker. i have the two analouge outputs from video connected to the two analouge inputs (vcr 1) on the amp. stereo comes out l/r speakers or all 5 in 6-stereo mode but not dpl or dplII. do these modes need initialised or something?

2)
    i have the dvd player connected via co-ax on input 3 (first digital co-ax input) but cannot get the amp set to dvd. have tried input 4 but still cannot set it to recognised the dvdv through the dvd input selector. have to use the cdr/dss input button instead of dvd. dd/dts digital sound is recognised though and sounds awsome.

3)
    there is a button marked cs5.1 after some quick browsing i know that this is yet another sound format but it seems that it doesnt work
    i) so it needs specific signal or ...
    ii) the sr5200 has it and the 4200 doesnt (sr5200 is marked on the controller so either i have been supplied with the wrong controller or marantz supply the same controller with the 4200 as 5200)

4)
    read through some previous posts about the 4200 and about the green label models, mine doesnt have one, but just got it last wed from peter tyson's does it still need modified and is there a way to tell (serial number?) why is it rated at 230v anyway if we get 240v average with some large spikes? would a voltage rectifier/modulator be required - is that the upgrade?

5)
    what is better to set the dvd output to: pcm or bitsteam - what are the differences?

any help/suggetsions would be much appreciated
    cheers
    Nyle

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    From memory you need to assign the Co-axial input to the DVD player using the amps OSD and also if I remember correctly mine kept defaulting to analogue until I set it up correctly (A/D button on facia)

The dvd output should be set to bitstream.

3. ultimatenyle

ultimatenyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    havent got the amps tv out hooked up to the tv as its a svhs connection. would a svhs to scart cable work on a standard scart input (tosh 32z17b rgb/svhs socket already used by dvd player). also would the amp be able to switch rgb signal through its svhs connections?

4. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ultimatenyle

1) First of all is your video source e.g. TV stereo? If yes then when in DLP or DLP II mode (not the auto setting has this will default to stereo) most dialog should come out the centre speaker with music or other sound effects coming out the left/right and rears. Apart from actually switching to the correct source and selecting the desired mode (the mode only need selecting once, then it stays set for that mode) they do not need initialising any further.

2) I can't remember how to switch the inputs but think that you just select the amp's menu and scroll through until you see DIG IN then press SELECT to then scroll through the inputs to assign, will check tomorrow if you are still stuck.

3) You are correct in thinking that CS5.1 is not available on the 4200 and no you haven't been given the wrong remote, they issue this remote with a few models.

4) Mine doesn’t have the green label but not all machines were affected, if yours is you will get lots of clicking sounds during DVD's especially after pausing for a while, it mainly seems to effect DTS DVD's. So basically it will only need the mod if its one of the effected machines. Most dual volt machines are rated at 230V so no need to worry about this and if you are prone to large spikes then even if it was rated at 240V it would still blow, get yourself a surge protector if you are worried.

5) If your DVD is connected digitally has yours is then choose bitstream to get the full digital signal.

The amp doesn’t have an OSD that displays on you TV, its just the amp's LCD that it displays on. I don't think it is possible to switch an RGB signal through an S-Video connector, you can certainly get a Scart to S-Video connector and most scart sockets that do RGB also do S-Video, don't know your TV though so can't be sure on that.

Hope at least some of that lot helps
    ;)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry didn't realise that there was no OSD on 4200. I used to have a 6200 and that was the only way to set up as most of the necessary info didn't appear in the LCD display.

6. ultimatenyle

ultimatenyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers,

fiddled around last night and set the dvd input.

sound blipped a couple of seperate times whilest listening to Rock in Rio DTS as if it was a discman bumped, replayed that 'bit' in the song and was fine, dvd is brand new and no marks on it. watched a few dvds in dts and dd never noticed any blips apart from that one time. is this the green label issue?

found that the dsp modes, movie, matrix, game etc. need to be activated for sound to come from other speakers instead of just the centre 1 in DPL or DPLII. also there was a gentle hissing noise when these were activated (had my ear right next to speakers) - got cheapy cable between vcr and amp - may this be the reason?
    when listening to music (cd) in dplII all speakers produce music without activating dsp modes.

got the dvds analouge stereo outputs connected to the analouge cd input of the amp but the amp just recognises the coax dvd input for music cds, not the cd input - does this need some sort of fiddling in the menu - checked through the manual but no mention of hooking up dvd via analouge audio. am i correct in thinking that cds would sound better via analouge instead of digital (no signal converting?)

frequently get some voltage spikes and drops/power cuts, computer sometimes crashes/resets because of them, clocks reset, lights sometimes effected too, will get a surge protector - is there any hifi specific models that offer any features or would a standard one do?

cheers
    nyle

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That shouldn't be the case

The amp won't tell the difference between a DVD and CD. If using analogue inputs for CD you will need to switch the amp's input to CD to hear it this way.

8. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has Ian J says that shouldn't be the case, when in DLP or DLP II modes and set for movie or music the amp should produce sound from all speakers without having to use a DSP mode provided you are using a stereo source. Please bare in mind that most dialog should come out of centre only but other sounds like music or sound effects should come out of others e.g. If a car go's across the screen left to right then the engine sound should first come out of left then left and centre then just centre the centre and right the lastly just the right has it dissapears off the screen.

I also get some issing coming through the other speakers when no sound is going through them but can only hear it if I put my ear right up to speaker. I have also just noticed a bit of bleed between the channels since I've upgraded my speakers but again only notice if I put my ears to the speaker.

I don't think you will get improved sound when playing CD's through the analog because you are using a DVD player so passing the signal digitally to the amp which has probably got a better converter than the DVD player should be best. If however you later add a dedicated CD player then analog might be better.