1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New amp or not new amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by The Spaniard, Sep 29, 2003.

1. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Ahhhh, that is the question! I have an old Yamaha a2 amp and recently tried upgrading to the Sony VA555Es to gain the newer sound modes and the 6.1 set up...that is after buying the new speaker, making a mess of the living room installing it, falling off the ladders and nearly breaking my arm!! To cut a long story short, I returned the Sony as the sound (to me) was awful compared to my yammy. Better on music but no where near as warm or powerful on movies - Believe me I did a lot of comparing with my favourite dvds before returning. Anyway I managed to get my money back and forgot about it .... although I keep looking at that additional speaker and wiring I installed and wonder whether I am ever going to get around to hear it! I run a Sony projector VPL11ht and one of the things that has also lured me back to having a little look at changing my amp again is the lip sync delays I keep getting that absolutely do my head in! So....I need a new amp, warm and powerful with lip sync and all of the latest sound modes. I was considering the Pioneer 2011 or the new AX5i although I think the 2011 will do if someone can confim the audio delay (some say yes - some say no). Any other choices? Will I be disappointed with the sound of the pioneer compared to the Yammy ? I know the Denon may be an option but I have the little DM30 set up and whilst it is excellent for the bedroom, to be honest I prefer the warmth of the Yamaha. Does the AZ2 have audio delay?

Any advice would be appreciated!

:clap:

2. Soni

Soni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spaniard

The Pioneers do not have lipsync except for AX10.

I think the best bet would be if you want lip sync would be the Denon 3803 which can be had for cheaper than the Pioneer.

If your after a warm reciever and having A2 before i think you would be pretty pleased with the Denon.

Go and have a demo if youve got time !!

Cheers

Soni

3. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks Soni,

Are you sure the Pioneer 2011 and AX5i dont do lip sync - I thought the AX5i definitely did and as I said previously, some thought the 2011 did also.

How about the AZ2?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    The AX5i has lip-sync delay, the 2011 doesn't. If I remember correctly only the AX10i has the delay as well, the standard AX10 doesn't.

I don't believe the Yamaha AZ2 has it either. Denon 3803 and A1SR both have it, as does the upgraded A1SE. A couple of the Onkyo amps/receivers also have it.

5. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    I believe that the pio ax3 has lip sync delay aswell, and whilst does not have all the functions of the ax5i, is considerably cheaper. Maybe someone with the AX3 could confirm this though.

Ricky

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    If you didn't like the Sony sound, you'll hate the Pioneers! They're even brighter IMO. Yamaha have a very specific "family sound" which doesn't sound like anyone else. You'll need a careful demo of the Denon's and Poineers before you buy. You might find you'll prefer to wait for a new Yamaha to catch up with lip-sync or be prepared to radically change your listening preferences away from Yamaha unfortunately.

7. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for all of that............I think I'll wait!