New Amp or Add a Sub?

Flakmunky

Standard Member
Hi,

I currently have the following audio equipment, configured as 5.0.

AV Amplifier: Onkyo TX-SR577
Front L & R: KEF iQ50 floor standers (bi-amped)
Centre: KEF iQ2c
Surrounds: 2 X Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers (the sub broke and I kept these)

I'm interested in improving my set up and have a budget of £500.

I've shortlisted the following upgrades and would like the forum's feedback and advice.

Surrounds: 2 X Minx 22
Subwoofer: 1 X Cambridge Audio Aero 9 OR BK Gemini II OR Cambridge Audio Minx X301

The iQ50s have a frequency response of 40Hz - 40kHz at -3dB, so are either of the subs I've shortlisted going to make much of a difference or would I be better buying a new AV receiver?

My room is 3.5m by 4.5m, my system is sited in the corner and the MLP is 3.7m from the screen, diagonally opposite.

Thanks in advance!

fM

Last edited:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
My suggestion would be to upgrade the rear speakers and subwoofer and leave everything else.

Look at something like the a pair of Wharfedale Moviestar DX-2 speakers for the rears and Monitor Audio Monitor MRW-10 sub. You'll have a little left over for a new subwoofer cable and the improvements should really transform your cinema experiences.

If you look for a stereo upgrade, then look at the Rel TZero sub and ask for a Neutrik SpeakOn cable to be made up (you'll still require an LFE sub lead for surround sound)

If you use the Rel, it's a little more complicated to set up, but long term it will worth it

Flakmunky

Standard Member
Thanks for the response, I'll look in to those items, though to be honest one of the reasons I chose the Minx was the size...

password1

Most of the sound comes out the front speakers and sub. Those minx surrounds won't be a huge upgrade or worth the £200+. Although the rears aren't as essential to tonally match, I'd look for a pair of Kef surrounds to match the front. It'll be an upgrade and far cheaper. Spend the money on a better sub.

deesta

I ran my new Q Acoustics speakers without an sub for 6 months, sounded great.
Added a cheap sub (20 yr old Jamo 8" thing), sounded better..
Just added a BK Double Gem...
Oh my, the difference is off the chart. Main speakers are much crisper, bass is so much better.
Based on my experience, add a sub :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom