1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Amp - now need to tweak

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Golfpunk, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Golfpunk

Golfpunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just got a Denon AVR1705 and the SYS3AL speakers as a upgrade from a all in one system. As a bit of a seperates newbie, could I ask a couple of questions?

1. Any idea how low you need to turn the surrounds down if they are sitting on the back wall with the sofa (listening position) right next to them? I have guess ed at -5db but trying to find the same level for all speakers always misses me for some reason - I blame childhood ear problems.

2. Whats the deal with LFE vs SW levels? The manual states that 80hz is right for "small" speakers but I still get booming as the SW is a corner. I have turned down the level to something more neighbour friendly but do I need to worry about LFE?

3. The speaker wire that came with the kit seems high quality but thin. Should I worry about looking at upgrading it seeing as it is not exactly high end kit?

Thanks (as ever) for help.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Ideally an SPL meter(sound level meter) is the simplest way of adjusting the levels of all of your speakers to be the same.
    Doing it by ear is a notoriously inaccurate method,and an SPL meter should cost about £30 or so....it really is money well spent,as each time you move any part of your system or change anything,you'll need it again.

This will also help when it comes to setting up your sub,but be prepared to move the sub around a bit until you find a position that gives good,but not boomy bass....the latter is caused often by the sub exciting a resonance in the room acoustics,and may be cured by moving it....corner positioning can certainly exacerbate it.