New Amp? New Speakers?

J

Jenz

All,

I'm looking at changing my audio in my home cinema room. In truth I have had many tell me that whilst my Video is stunning my audio is not *ahem* upto the same levels.

Therefore I'm looking at replacing the speakers and also possibly the Amp.

Currently I have a Yamaha DSP-A2 feeding Mission 77 Series speakers. The speakers fitted my budget of the time and I haven't felt the need to change them. They are supported by a REL Q100E Sub.

However recently I must confess to be intrigued by the Uncle Eric Power Buy Anthony Gallos as they would be asthetically pleasing in the room plus would allow me to wall mount etc. I would probably keep my Rel (? - Views?) instead of the Gallos Sub?

I have also been interested in the Stands Unique Klarity range having been offered an excellent price for them and they too could be wall mounted.

For Amps I'm not to sure... I have a definate requirement for Component Switching and have been looking at the Denon range.

However I have also been told a good poweramp connected to the existing A2 would be far more beneficial...

Anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to stay below £3000 for the Amp and Speakers. Less if needed... (got my eye on a 911 ;))

If you are specifically commenting on the Speakers please see my thread in the Speakers Section.

Jenz.

Will you see an noticeable improvement going from full-range 77's to a sub/sat set-up?

I'm not sure I'd call a 77/Q100 set-up poor to be honest.

For £3k you're looking at fairly serious kit (to most people) - I'd decide what you want to spend on each to be honest....can you give more info and how you feel your current set-up is failing and where?

Neil,

In my upgrade from DSPA2 to TAG/Rotel, I bypassed the Amps in the A2 1st and used the Rotel 985Mk2 to give me a feel for improvement gained, then I swapped out the A2 for the TAG AV32R.

There was a definite improvement using offboard amps, the seperation between channels was much better, the real benefit came when adding the TAG.

Processors have moved on considerably since the A2 tho' andf although it was a good performer in its day it can be bettered now by any number of integrated amp/processors. Same old story I'm afraid, demo and use your own ears!! Your the one that listens most, if it doesn't sound better, dont get it.

Finally PLII makes a huge difference to Sky an games :D

Steve (Dont forget to add $ for SDI DVD:D )

im with steve on the gradual upgrading. This is what im doing. My A5 is obvioulsy a mug beside your A2, but i decided that i got a greater improvement for my money with a grand an half of power amps, than a new integrated of the same price. It also of course leaves you the chance to upgrade at less hassle in the future!

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom