1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New amp, new sound card?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by NickBull, Mar 19, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I was thinking of getting the Denon 3802, but ended up with a 2802, and an extra £170 in my pocket. Is it worth upgrading the sound card from the SB live to an M-Audio?

Or, Would I be better off spending £100 on new DVD's and getting a decent speaker cable for the sixth channel.

Nick

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I'd definitely recommend the M-Audio card (and not just because I have one for sale ;) ) As I understand it, the SB live automatically upsamples to something 48khz (or thereabouts) as it's designed to be driving computer speakers. I still have a SB Live in my games PC, and my two M-Audio cards knock it's socks off!

I've been using my 24/96 (and now a Delta 410) to drive a Cyrus power amp & Sonus Faber front LR speakers (that's £1600 worth of kit), and it works a treat. One caveat though...if you want to play games, look elsewhere. The M-Audio cards do not have much in the way of games compatibility.

3. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I was thinking about this last week, as I have an SB live card too.

After a bit of searching and reading, I eventually got my SB live to work, and it's great.

If you have the CT4830 or CT4832 with an SPDIF digital out (a yellow mini jack socket) like mine, you're fine to connect it to your amp. If you have any other, you should look into buying a Hoontech daughter board, because there's a problem with a 5v voltage possibly damaging your amp with these other cards.

I bought an 8ft coaxial cable and a mono 3.5mm mini jack to RCA adapter, and it works a treat.

I can't see how a better card would improve the digital out connection, maybe the better connectors and no need for an adapter might improve it, but by how much is up for questioning.

I agree that using the inputs and other outputs would be far superior on the M-Audio card.

But I've compared listening to my Pioneer 535 DVD player coaxial out with my HCPC using my Sound Blaster 1024, and I couldn't hear much of a difference - maybe I'm in need of a hearing test.

Don't grill me if I'm talking nonsense, but this is just my opinion, and I'm waiting for those extra DVD's to come through the post :)

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm definately only interested in the S/PDIF output from whatever card I use.

It's a tricky thing, I might wait and see, once I get delivery of the amp I can listen to it and I have no doubt it'll be a lot better than my 5 year old Sony STRDB925.

I'm pretty happy with the sound I have now, as good as stand alone player, but extra facilities and PL2 swayed me.

I suppose if it's just the quality of the 3.5 mm jack I could modify it by soldering in a RCA socket straight to the PCB? I know the current adaptor I use is exceptionally flimsey!

Nick