New Amp for Tannoy SFX 5.1 Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sheepdisease, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Denon AVR1909

Please tell me what you think? What is the best I can get for my money, say £300? So long as it allows me to connect games consoles (Wii, N64, PS2, possibly PS3), Squeezebox Duet, TV, DVD player/Blueray player so that all audio/visual processing is done through the amp and played through speakers (unless a decent alternative DVD player can be recommended for this) and provides TrueHD & HDMI 1.3 with 1080p passthrough/upscaling.

The system will be used to play music from my PC through the Squeezebox and for immersive sound whilst watching films.

I don't mind second hand, just as long as it is in good condition.

2. d1979

d1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm no expert but I have both the 1909 and the Tannoys. I've not had a 5.1 amp or speakers before so I'm pretty impressed still. The speakers are only ever to be a stop gap and I intend to replace them with something else in the not too distant future.
    They are poor for music compared to my old B&W 601s but then this has to be expected for £150!

The 1909 seems great. I don't have much reference but I am more than happy with it, easy to setup, easy to use and has more than enough inputs for me.

3. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Sheepdisease - Please give people time to read and respond to your post. Bumping after only 45 minutes is unnecessary and only clogs up the forum with unrequired posts. I have deleted your bump post.

4. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Would be the easiest option for me based on your opinion so far, I wonder what others think? The Tanoy SFX speakers are worth at least £300, reviews are good too, so I am a bit concerned that you say they aren't very good with music.

Do you know the cheapest place to get the 1909 new or second hand?

Moderator: I apologise for being impatient and wasting your valuable time.

5. d1979

d1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    They are OK for music, just no where near as good as my old setup of a Rotel Amp and the B&W 601s. It never would be though I guess.

The Denon I paid £299 from RS for. It appears that the price has gone up already with talk of the RRP reaching as much as £450 or £500 due to the exchange rate.

Look at the Denon 1909 owners thread in the Denon Owners forum.

6. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Stupid exchange rates, I have checked out the link and left a message in the thread.

7. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What about the Denon 2309 and 2808?

8. fastestlouigie

fastestlouigie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If the Yamaha Dsp-ax763 is better than the Dsp-ax563 that I've just bought to go with a set of Dynaudio Audience 40 fronts and Tannoy Sfx's for surround/sub' duties,then you will be very happy(you'll need the 763 for the video/hdmi stuff).I have been very impressed by the 563's performance,especially with it in direct mode through either headphones(much better than my old Pioneer a400)or the Dynaudio's('haven't been able to crank it up yet).Of course,if your front speakers are bi-wireable,you can bi-amp them as well!:devil:
    The 763 costs around £280-300-I got the 563 for £195,an absolute steal,if anybody's interested in a cheap yet quality av-amp IMO.
    And of course,Yamaha's have a reputation for excellent stereo sound-the '763 has won a What Hifi AV-amp' test recently.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  9. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and recommendations.

Could you all please tell me what you think?