• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question New amp for Pioneer S-73A series Dolby Atmos Speakers

azza2004

Standard Member
Hi,

I've recently obtained the full speaker package including fronts, center and rears and I need some help choosing a decent amp to go with them.

I've been recommended the following

Onkyo rz730 & pioneer lx503.

Are either of these amps suitable, I'm leaning more towards the onkyo due to price. However I see that the speakers are rated 4ohms and I'm a bit lost to be honest.

I've seen the speakers demoed using a pioneer sclx89 and they sounded great but that amp is well out of my price range.

any suggestions or directions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Matt

gibbsy

Most amps will handle speakers down to 4 ohm. Some may run considerably hotter at 4 ohm and good ventilation is essential. Both of the amps you've looked at would be fine. Only thing I don't like about Onkyo or Pioneer is their relatively poor room correction and ease of set up, especially the Pioneer.

The Pioneer would have a better build quality over the Onkyo, I have a Pioneer Blu-ray player and it's built like a tank. Now that Onkyo own Pioneer I hope they still allow such a good build quality. Out of the two mentioned I would pick the Pioneer.

For ease of set and with a superior room correction system you should take a serious look at the Denon AVR X4400.

https://petertyson.co.uk/denon-avr-x4400h-av-receiver

azza2004

Standard Member
Many thanks Gibbsy. The Denon amp looks good shame it doesn't have the built in chromecast as its in the same price range as the other 2

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom