1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new amp for KHT5005 speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by allanrose, Mar 6, 2005.

1. allanrose

allanrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any recommendations what to start with? Is Denon 3805/HK630 territory OTT? Or would 2805/HK430 be more than adequate

thanks in advance

allan

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Allan - I would have thought the Denon 2805 would be more than adequate to run the 5005’s, I use the Yamaha 750SE with the Kef Q series (Q4’s; Q6C; Q-compacts) and that has no problem running them.

3. allanrose

allanrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry...just to clarify....when I say 'adequate' I don't mean driven load or anything like that....I am really talking about the 'laws of diminishing returns'...ie would a certain level of amp be a waste of money and I gave the 3805 and 2805 as examples - it could just as easily be something else

cheers!

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Obviously, the law of diminishing returns is always at play. I wouldn’t say that the Denon 3805 would be a waste of money as it does offer improvements over the 2805 however it also depends on what features you are looking for.

When buying my amp I demo’d quite a few amps and was originally planning on buying the Pioneer AX5Ai. However, when it came to decision time I decided that I really wouldn’t be able to take advantage of a lot of the functionality it offered and plumed the cash for the 750SE (which doesn’t have a tuner for example) for a third of the cost. As I said before it’s a cracking little amp and wouldn’t have thought it’d have problems running the 5005’s.