Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New AMP and Speaker Combo Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Corazonis, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Corazonis

Corazonis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've decided to update my Pioneer VSX-909RDS amp and speakers (Tannoy MXC, MX1 and MX2s). I need some advice on what to replace them with.

Budget for the AMP is approx £1K, looking to spend up to £1K for the speakers. I need (want :D ) video upconversion to component (HDTV Bandwidth), and all the trimmings (Dolby Prologic 2, DTS, etc). I'm looking to go a couple of steps up the food chain, so the AMP/Speaker Combo should be complimentary. I need good connectivity, as I will be connecting, XBOX and PS2, as well as SKY+, DVD and probably a DVD Recorder in the coming months.

Looking to use it for movies more than music, but the music quality should be good, although not necessarily top-end.

I'm keeping my REL Sub, as it was always a class act, compared to my other kit.

Cheers

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my reccomendation would be the Arcam AVR250 and Kef's Q series or Acoustic energy's Aelite series.
    Avr250 = £1000
    Kef Qcompact x4, q6c = £550 or use floorstanding Q4, Qcompact, Q6c = £750
    Or, Acoustic energy Aelite1 x4, Aelite centre = about £950

Definately worth a demo!

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I think you should also demo the Yamaha 2400 (reduced because its being replaced) or the new 2500 amp. Fantastic movie amp and now good in stereo.
    Also the Pioneer AX5i or the new AX5ai and the 3805 from Denon should also be demoed :smashin:

I would also recommend the Acoustic energy Evos series as a set of speakers as you can get the full 7.1 for under 1K. I know your keeping the Rel so you could make some money back by selling the AE one:devil:
    Alternativly the Fantastic Mordaunt Short THX system
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=302240