New Amp and Speaker advice?

Degas

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am a bit of a noob in this area so I thought it would be best to get some opinions. I currently have and all in one JVC-THV70R DVD system and a JVC 42" VM-42D30E plasma I am looking to replace.

I have bought a Panasonic DVD S97 DVD player and am going to get one of the new gen Hi-Def 42/43" Panny or Pioneer Plasmas due out at the end of this month, however I have no idea as to the Amp or Speaker set I need to go with them. I want to hook up my Sky+ box, DVD and my X-Box all in Hi-quality as possible, I don't have that much cash left mind, only about £500 max to get both the speakers and the amp (I could possibly stretch to a tad more but really don't want to, well I say I don't' want to, it's more the wife will kill me).

I have heard the Denon AVR-1705 and the Denon AVR-1905 are both pretty good, as are the Pioneer VSX-C502 and the Sony STR-DB795 but they only have 4 outputs each to the Denons 7 or 8, and as far as speakers go I have no idea except that I hear the Kef KHT1005 are pretty good compacts, which is what I want as instead of full size. Any extra comments on leads etc will be appreciated.

Thanks for any input.

How about a set of the Tannoy EFX 5.1 ? Leaves you about £260 for the amp and cables.

The add the Yamaha Rxv 557 to your order and see if Peter tyson will throw in some speaker cables in for free. :smashin:

Thanks for the reply, I wasnt including the cables in the £500 or so I plan to spend, the Yamaha looks pretty nice, but I have found the Denon AVR-1905 for about the same price, is the Yamaha much better?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom