New Amp and pass through

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Magrah, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Magrah

Magrah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have decided to upgrade my Pioneer SVX2016 but need an amp with pass through (I think). Having a young family that don't need surround my current set up allows me to watch TV with the receiver on or off through three sources Virgin, PS3 and Bluray. This is achieved by all three going into the amp using optical and then all three going directly into the TV using HDMI. I see that most new amps only have 1 or 2 optical inputs I guess as they are not so popular now.

My question is when an amp says passthrough does that mean the signal will go through unmodified when the amp is on standby? If this is the case then I can achieve what I want by connecting all three sources to the amp via HDMI and then have a single or multiple HDMI's to the TV.

I'm thinking of the Onkyo 728 or 828 any other recommendations?

Thanks

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,047
    Many AV receivers include the ability to passthrough both audio and video while the receiver is in standby if the signal is being sourced via an HDMI input. The issue is that the majority of receivers with this ability allow passthrough of the HDMI source last selected prior to going into standby or allow for just one specific HDMI source to be selected as a default for the passthrough function. I'm not sure, but I think Onkyo AV receivers the only ones to allow the selection of different HDMI sources while the receiver is in standby?

I'd just start using the AV receiver all of the time if I were you and see no real reason to not use it for all audio? I've not used my TV's own internal speakers for over 10 years now. There's nothing stopping you from simply engaging a stereo mode if you don't want surround sound and the receiver's volume can be turned down just as low as the TV's. The audio will be infinitely better than that associated with the TV's own speakers even if simply watching the news.

3. Magrah

Magrah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply, the problem is the kids won't switch it off it hard enough to get them to turn the TV off. Hence currently i'm the only one that uses the surround.

4. Bryn1

Bryn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Marantz SR7007 does exactly what you are looking for, my kids use the passthrough when watching non surround encoded programming on sky and prefer not to have the sound from coming from my av kit.

HTH
    Bryn