new amp and 3d

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cantillon, Dec 26, 2011.

1. cantillon

cantillon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am looking at purchasing a new amp ready for a 3d tv. I have been looking at the sony str dg820 but am a little confused. If I connect a 3d blu ray player via hdmi and then hdmi to tv will this work ? I also have sky box but understand this does not carry 5.1 over hdmi so will have to use seperate optical. If this reciever does not work this way are there any that will around same price mark ?

Mike.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    The Sony STR-DH820 will do what you want. It's compatible with 3D. With sky, if you route the video via the receiver, you will need to assign the inputs so that the video and audio match i.e. HDMI for video and optical (or digi-coax) for audio.

There are a few threads about receivers at this price point. The Sonys have always been good budget options so you shouldn't have any problems. Out of interest, what speakers are you using?

3. cantillon

cantillon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Dave I currently have a mixture of canton rears and an audica lcr speaker will I get full hd sound as well as 3d picture if i use hdmi from player to amp. Just I have read about this reciever not bieng compatable with sequential 3d. Is it hdmi 1.4 compatable ? Finally would the denon avr 1912 be a better option ?

Mike.

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
  5. cantillon

cantillon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey thanks for the reply again after plenty of reading I am looking at the denon at £300 from peter tyson. My current set up is 6.1 as the tv is situated in the corner of room this will become 5.1 when tv is moved but not just yet as whole room will need re doing.Is the denon able to send out a 6.1 pattern ?

Mike.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,132
    Yes, the denon can accommodate any number of speakers up to 7.1. A 7.1 amp isn't restricted to 7.1 and you simply use one pair of back speaker terminals for 6.1 rather than both pairs of back terminals. The manual will have directions on which of the two to use and instruction on how to configure the speaker pattern as 6.1.

7. cantillon

cantillon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Dante and Dave got the denon in the end fantastic bit of kit just having trouble with my sky box displaying a hdcp error now any ideas to solving this ?

Mike.