New amp advise - Please (Current Onkyo 609 on the out!)

darklight

Prominent Member
I've had an Onkyo NR609 for about 3 years but lately it looks like it's on it's way out due this issue with the HDMI board. When I switch it on after being off overnight (no power, not just on stand-by) it takes an age (ok only a few minutes:love:)to find the sound. Pic comes through but I've to switch it off and on (stand-by) and switch sources, etc before it comes on. I know this appears to be a common problem with this model.
While I'm not completely against repair I feel a new amp is in order.

Anyhow I have a budget of around £300 - £400 and obviously need all the normal bells and whistles, however not caring about networking, just good ol' lossless audio 6.1 (and 3D compatible). Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest the usual suspects:

Yamaha RXV675
Sony STRDN1040
Denon AVRX2000

All of the above would be of a similar level as your current receiver, For a little bit more then you could get the Denon AVRX3000 for about £430 or even a Yamaha RXV1073 for just £500.

If wanting another Onkyo then there's the TXNR626 which is a direct replacement for your current receiver, but this receiver has issues similar to those you already have. Onkyo have a very bad repp in relation to HDMI and reliability.

darklight

Prominent Member
I'd suggest the usual suspects:

Yamaha RXV675
Sony STRDN1040
Denon AVRX2000

All of the above would be of a similar level as your current receiver, For a little bit more then you could get the Denon AVRX3000 for about £430 or even a Yamaha RXV1073 for just £500.

If wanting another Onkyo then there's the TXNR626 which is a direct replacement for your current receiver, but this receiver has issues similar to those you already have. Onkyo have a very bad repp in relation to HDMI and reliability.

Thanks for your suggestions. I spoke to a guy in Richer Sounds this morning and he recommended the Sony 1040 also:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom