New amp advice please

D

Doodle

Hi, looking to complete my setup in the next few weeks, not sure on what to do. I could either

Buy 250 x 3 amp and 100 x 5R

or

Buy two 250 X 3 amps and use my 8000P for the centre channel (bi amped)

As the prices aren´t wildly different what do you think would be best.

(probably upgrade speakers in future). :confused:

I think quite a bit depends upon your speakers, Doodle. Bearing in mind that most of your program is going to come from the front 3 speakers, it might be an idea to put a 250 channel onto each. Don't forget that a hell of a lot of home cinema comes from the centre so it certainly needs a fair amount of grunt.

Bryston does amps that are certainly in the same league as the TAG stuff. Mine never give any sign of strain with 200 watts into 4 ohms; they can be triggered from my AV192R and they have the benefit of a 20 year warranty. I've already done more than my share of moaning about uncertain futures with IAG, so I find that warranty very comforting. PMC service Bryston in the UK and they're very responsive. One of Bryston's Directors is also very acccessible by email too (just the way Udo was - sigh).

Doodle

Pity you couldn't go for the two 250x3's AND the 100x5 :rotfl: That way tou could by amp the front three speakers and use the 100x5 for the rears.

I agree with Edward that the Bryston amps are a good alternative and I couldn't tell the difference between them :smashin:

I had the same dilemma a few years ago - to buy TMC amps or not.

After a lot of auditioning, I chose the Bryston route which quite a few AV32R / DVD32R owners have also done it seems. The TMC amps didn't have the soundstage or presence the Brystons had - my own ears only of course ! :)

For the money you would shell out on 2 x 250x3R's, another possibility is the Bryston 14BSST for the main 2 front speakers & a 6BSST for the centre & surrounds - thats what i have and it sounds great. With the 20 year warranty, even picking up some 2nd hand stuff isn't a problem - especially when the Brystons are really built to last.

hi kallenby

how big is the difference sonically between the 14bsst and the 6bsst? how would you guess the brystons will match my dualsharc and kef reference speakers?

i listened to the mcintosh mc402/mc501 compared with my mcintosh mc7205 and the stereo/mono-mac sounded very much better...

i'm now contemplating on either buy a nice stereo-amp from mcintosh (mc402 or mc2102) to drive the fronts and use the 5 channels of the mc7205 for center, surrounds and surround backs or to sell the mc7205 and buy something completely different while bryston crossed my mind...

have you compared the brystons with the mcintoshs?

thanks in advance for your reply
christoph

The Bryston 6BSST is a good alternative to the TAG 250x3R, those of us who went up to TAG HQ for the blind test in the snow the other Christmas couldn't tell the difference..... The 14BSST is of course louder......
As many have said the Bryston's are quality amps and work well with TAG kit as do TAG's own amps. I'd be happy with either.

Cost may have a place here and of course your speakers may react better to one amp than another, always audition with your own kit in your own house, nothing else will tell you much........ It's your money...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom