1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Amp - 6.1 or 7.1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ShortNick, Jan 7, 2004.

1. ShortNick

ShortNick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm not a newbie to all this and have searched the forums for an answer but I'm tying myself in knots. What is the difference between an amp with a single rear centre output compared to one with 2 centre rears. The way I understand it is that there are no 7.1 DVDs so the only sound you will get from the rears is a single channel split into 2 for 7.1. Is this right. Also, I'm looking to spend between £500-800 on a new amp, probably a Sony, so is there a point shelling out extra for 2 rear channels? I have Mirage AVS200 speakers (100W) at the moment and would need another pair. Any help is appreciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there are no 7.1 formats yet so it is there for use in the furture or utilising matrix functions EG LOGIC 7
    Might i suggest you demo a HK AVR4550 or 5550 model both are 7.1 with logic 7 and allow you to utilise all 7 channels if connected or stick with 5/6.1 5.1 is most common format at the moment.
    What display are you using and what will you be conecting?

3. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ShortNick,

You are right on the rear channel, whether 6.1 or 7.1 they both get the same signal.

I run 6.1 (mind you its hard to find a single speaker for sale), I ended up buying a pair and selling on 1 after having tried 2 speakers and it making no difference to my ears whether 1 of 2 was in my layout, so I made a little saving on the way (rare in av / hifi). Though there is a big difference between 5.1 and 6.1 / 7.1.

I can recommend the Denon 3803 (good for movies and music). Denons are built like a tank; sounding great and I have had a 3802 for two years without any complaint whatsoever. I did however have a bad 24hours very recently with a Yamaha RXV1400 (tinny / bright sounding and not great build quality) before finally going for the upgraded 3803. The 2803 being a cheaper option if required.

I would always recommend you listen to any AMP you intend to buy; they can be quite different in how they work with and reproduce the source, especially between movies and music.

Regards,

Chris L.

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    ShortNick,

I recommend you go to www.avsforum.com (the biggest US forum) and search at the amp department for 1400 and then 2400, and you will se a big bunch of hugely satisfied owners, and they tend to use quite powerful speakers. Obviously Harman and Denon has also big followers over there so you should search on them as well, oh and Denon are launching 3805 in January, so 3803 is kind of old now.

Yamaha has their new YPOA (like Pioneers automatic room calibration MCACC but better) and there is now a huge thread where they post their settings, and the general concensus is that it makes a huge difference.

Oh, an interesting article about acoustics being as important as equipment, that should help Yamaha selling more 1 & 2400s ;p
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_4/feature-007-theater-12-2003.html

And, this should be the absolute future benchmark in terms of DSP's! http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_4/feature-ssp-functionality-11-2003.html

Also at the bottom page, some really interesting stuff about filters, alignment, bass etc.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_4/yamaha-rx-v640-receiver-12-2003-part-2.html

But as Chris says, if possible, demo them and with various speakers, or even better with the speakers you have.

Wasabi

5. ShortNick

ShortNick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks fellas, that gives me a bit more to think about before plunging in. (Currently displaying a Sanyo Z1 on 7' screen and am upgrading to Sony DVP NS930 for the PAL and NTSC Prog outputs)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    compoment switching may well be of use to you so consider this when looking for an amp. HK AVR4550 and 5550 have it as do 7300 Marantz and denon 3803 IIRC

7. justthekiddy

justthekiddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the NAD T752. Out of the box 5.1 but add one or two more power amps and it becomes 6.1 or 7.1 respectively - perfect for a future upgrade if you think you need it. Have got M&K K4's for side speakers. Tried 7.1, but found it not be much of an improvement with these speakers over 5.1 - M&K K4's they are tripoles.

8. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Im pretty sure Yamaha 1400 &2400 has component switching, maybe Carlos can confirm? I know that they do have upconversion from composite & s-video to component.

Wasabi

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you're right about the yamaha it does upconvert.
    I found 7.1 is much better on amplifiers that actually have seven amps, some share an amp for the 2 rear back, these same amps allow you to use 6.1 or 7.1 setup.