• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question New Amazon Fire TV

dacdesigns

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I have had Fire TV sticks in the past and had massive problems with YouTube buffering all the time. I got rid and went back to Chromecast 2's however I have now got Amazon Prime along with other services like Netflix, Plex from own Gen8 server, SkyGo and would like to try the new moonlight release for streaming games from Steam.

Can anyone tell me if they have any issues with YouTube app on the New FTV, also has anyone had much joy with game streaming from Steam?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi all,

I have had Fire TV sticks in the past and had massive problems with YouTube buffering all the time. I got rid and went back to Chromecast 2's however I have now got Amazon Prime along with other services like Netflix, Plex from own Gen8 server, SkyGo and would like to try the new moonlight release for streaming games from Steam.

Can anyone tell me if they have any issues with YouTube app on the New FTV, also has anyone had much joy with game streaming from Steam?

Did you try using a hdmi extension so you can find the best spot for wireless ? A port tucked away at the back of a TV isn't likely to be great for WiFi reception.

dacdesigns

Distinguished Member
Did you try using a hdmi extension so you can find the best spot for wireless ? A port tucked away at the back of a TV isn't likely to be great for WiFi reception.

Hi thanks for the reply, to be honest I had 3 fire tv sticks in different locations around the house and they all suffered with YouTube. I tried two or three different YouTube apps but still had the same response, there is the odd person on the net complaining about the same problems. I was at the time running sky standard unlimited broadband which I have now changed to Virgin 50meg along with there AC router.

I really like the chromecasts for the ease of use, they don't have only problems playing anything in my house, be it from YouTube or my server through plex. That's running multiple streams in 1080p. Just seemed odd that the fire sticks had the issues, maybe YouTube isn't amazons priority.

I do feel that the Amazon Fire TV box has a lot to offer with it being the only one now to offer prime and all the other services I need, then there's kodi with its add-ons which I'm thinking of looking into and the moonlight game streaming.

Not sure what to do!

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi thanks for the reply, to be honest I had 3 fire tv sticks in different locations around the house and they all suffered with YouTube. I tried two or three different YouTube apps but still had the same response, there is the odd person on the net complaining about the same problems. I was at the time running sky standard unlimited broadband which I have now changed to Virgin 50meg along with there AC router.

I really like the chromecasts for the ease of use, they don't have only problems playing anything in my house, be it from YouTube or my server through plex. That's running multiple streams in 1080p. Just seemed odd that the fire sticks had the issues, maybe YouTube isn't amazons priority.

I do feel that the Amazon Fire TV box has a lot to offer with it being the only one now to offer prime and all the other services I need, then there's kodi with its add-ons which I'm thinking of looking into and the moonlight game streaming.

Not sure what to do!

I have the Amazon Fire TV box, it has no issues with YouTube (not the new 4K one), but it is hard wired to my router and I have Virgins 70Mbps service.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom