New Amazon Fire TV confirmed as 4K UHD Player - news discussion

Looks a better bet than the overpriced, under spec'ed apple TV.

I can't see any mention of HDR (might have missed it), which would be strange.

A real shame you still can't download video content.

That aside, a very well-specced bit of kit, at a very good price.

Steve W

No it doesn't support HDR Steve.

That's disappointing given that Amazon prime is one of the few sources of UHD HDR content in the UK. I guess we'll have to wait for a revision.

I already have the original stick for the living room TV and it's a great piece of kit (it cost me £15 as a pre-order with Prime!). I'll wait for the new version to support HDR before I get that one for the cinema room.

what is there to watch in 4K on it?

Basically right now there are a few Sony Pictures Catalogue titles you can buy in 4K from Amazon Instant (circa £18.99 generally) but in the main then it's the Original programs that Amazon and Netflix Produce so Daredevil, Bosch etc.

I'll be getting one for the simple fact that the sound from the built in Amazon player on my Samsung UHD TV is horrendously out of sync.

I was hoping for a link to a contents page if anyone has seen one, I couldnt find one, only a link to 4k tv's for sale.

At the moment I think they only show up through the app on 4K TV's. You can't see them through the web view.

Can these devices stream local content stored on a NAS?

That's disappointing given that Amazon prime is one of the few sources of UHD HDR content in the UK. I guess we'll have to wait for a revision.

I already have the original stick for the living room TV and it's a great piece of kit (it cost me £15 as a pre-order with Prime!). I'll wait for the new version to support HDR before I get that one for the cinema room.

Manni, do you use Netflix on the Fire TV stick, if so have they fixed the stutter?

Stopped using mine and wouldn't go for the new one unless knew was OK....

Last edited:
Manni, do you use Netflix on the Fire TV stick, if so have they fixed the stutter?

Stopped using mine and wouldn't go for the new one unless knew was OK....

Thanks for the heads-up, no we don't use Netflix on the stick, only Amazon Prime and BBC iPlayer. Works great for those. My main interest in a UHD compatible one would be to stream HDR content from Amazon Prime.

Didn't the old one have problems with 1080i playback (via Kodi)? Hope the new one rectifies that problem.

What's the advantage over the built in TV apps?
My Panasonic tv converts Netflix DD+ to DD losing sync and locking out the lip sync option on my amp so I would consider it for that.

It's shown as having Plex, does that cover NAS files?

Can you download 4k onto memory card then playback. Thinking of us poor souls who have slower broadband. Alternatively download less compressed versions.
Is 4k streamed much better than bluray when you take into account impact of heavy compression?

Kevin

No optical audio out..., it would be nice if it could output audio via USB

Is the only addition really just 4K?

Recently got one of the current fire tv and have installed Kodi. Works a charm and was wondering if it's just 4k content. Don't have a 4k tv so won't feel to bad if it is. Won't be doing 4k until there's quite a bit of content.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom