1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New All in One 5.1 system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by MonkeyMofo, Jul 15, 2005.

1. MonkeyMofo

MonkeyMofo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have a question regarding my new set-up at home.
    I have just moved house and have decided to get a Hitachi 32LD7200 LCD TV and wall mount it. Wife's uncle may be able to get me a discount from curry's. My question is that I am now looking for a system to run the audio through. I was thinking about getting the Samsung DVD-HD945 to play my DVD's and maybe music on occasionally (I have a smallish living room and don't want a separate hi-fi) My question is I am looking to spend about £300 (I know part of the TV is a wedding present, and the house is costing a fortune to do up!) on a av system to hook up to the sammy any pointers?

Thanks
    Ahmed.

2. MonkeyMofo

MonkeyMofo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Little bit more info maybe.

I have been looking on the web and seen a Panasonic SC-HT05 av receiver and 5.1 system (~£200), this looks like it could be what I'm after. However in the future I would be tempted to go for a DVD-Recorder + Hard-drive. I have seen the Panasonic SCHT1500 for about £500 this has a 80Gb harddrive and a 5.1 speaker system, the only thing is I am unsure about connecting it to the TV as the reason that I was after the Samsung DVD-HD945 was that I could connect it to my TV via HDMI and the rave reviews it received.
    I am on a budget and I am looking for a set up that I can upgrade as and when finances allow.

Thanks
    Ahmed

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You would be far better to look on Price Runner because they can probably beat anything that Curry's can offer, even with a discount.

Re the surround sound system - two options -

1. Buy a cheap "plastic" system like the DigiTheatre or the Yamaha TSS10.

You will get tired of these very quickly, and want better, so,

2. Save up your cash, and buy a decent amp and proper speakers and sub-woofer.

I chose option 1. I should have gone for option 2 :)

4. MonkeyMofo

MonkeyMofo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Price on the TV with the discount seems to be the same as anything on the net. Also by buying from currys/dixons I should be able to take it to the local store if any problems. Rather than posting it. On the separate front I am thinking that is the best option. however my wife wants to be able to listen to music in the living room. Catch-22 situation unfortuanley, don't really want to listen to music through the TV speakers. :(

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like your mate gets good discount from Curry's :)

You don't have to listen to music through the TV speakers - just get an AV amplifer. Feed all your audio (Sky box, DVD, CD player,etc) through it. Many have outputs for two sets of speakers.

Have a look at what Richer Sounds have to offer.