new aerial - advice for nube!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by saras, Dec 17, 2004.

1. saras

saras

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

This is my first post so please excuse my ignorance :blush: !

Following the recommendations on here I've just got my first freeview box (Humax 8000t (80gb)) and a very neat thing it is too (thanks :thumbsup: ), but can't get all the BBC channels. I think I need a new aerial, but am being quoted £165 for supply and fitting. This seems very expensive, is it? My postcode is SP7 0QE.

Thanks in advance, Sara.

2. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This does seem excessive, I paid £100 for my aerial supplied and fitted. Can you post a breakdown of this?

Also do you stay in a flat or apartment? Or is your roof quite high up? Is there a distance between where the aerial would be fitted to where your Freeview box is?

Does the installer know what sort of box you have, if so he may have decided to fit a better aerial and use better cable in order to give your box a powerful signal.

I don't know about your postcode, but you could also try the freeview forum at www.digitalspy.co.uk, some people there know more about what area is covered by what transmitter, they may have a better answer for you.

3. saras

saras

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Aligebes,

I live in a single storey bungalow! The 'box' is straight below the aerial - so about 6m of cable would be needed - though the installer didn't mention cable! The £165 breakdown is £35 (+vat) and the rest for the parts. He is a CAI member.

Thanks for your link and help. Sara.

4. steveoc

steveoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before forking out on a new ariel I would have a read of some of the other threads posted. It seems that just over the last week there are a number of posts where the BBC channels are lost or very distorted via freeview and sky. This includes my Humax 8000T (40gb) which suddenly lost its record function and over half the channels. I had to switch off the machine, leave for 10 mins, reboot with the ariel out to clear the memory, then reboot with the ariel in (adviced from the bbc freeview site).
    I got all the BBC channels back but I still get some distortion on BBC1 and 2.
    Stick with it as its a great machine.

5. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It does seem excessive considering your requirements, are there other CAI installers in your area who could give you a quote?

At the time, I had an old aerial and original SKY Sat dish, I got a freeview card and SAT card for my PC. I then got a CAI installer to fit a new aerial, LNB and FM aerial + cable. For all this he charged me £200 all in.

I recently used him again to fit a new aerial and cable to my sister's flat, she is a top flat, I was only charged £100 all in for this. She is using a SAGEM ITD58 freeview box.

I would shop around if you can, or get details what he is planning on fitting and post that info here.