New Acer Aspire 875 with HDD and 16gb optane... HDD is hidden from Bios

windup

Hi,
Just setting up a new Aspire 875 with Win 10 Home. It has a 1tb Hdd and intel i5 with 16Gb of optane memory.
Having set it up from scratch and installed my user programs I wanted to take my first backup to fall back on as time progresses.

I normally use a clone image program which has served me well over many years.. a ghostly experience.
However, booting from a HirensCD USB ( after a bios boot change from Boot Manager ) I found the HDD was not seen in the Hirens system while all other drives were.
Going back to the Bios I realised the HDD is not seen there either. The HDD is not listed and When the HDD option is chosen as Boot priority it fails.

So presumably this new setup has some complications I am not aware of.
Basically i eventually want to replace the boot HDD with a SSD plus maybe use the HDD as storage but I'm now confused as to what I need to do to get back to a 'traditional' setup. Normally I would use a clone system image to another disk.. something I've done a hundred times on previous PC's.
Advice please

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
I have no experience with Intel optane, but a quick search shows it doesn't work with all clone/imaging tools especially outside the windows desktop environment were the drivers can be missing.

My suggestion would be
1) remove the Intel optane module
2) do a cmos reset of the uefi
3) check that uefi can see HDD again
4) do a clean install of windows on the HDD (no optane)
5) now create a system image (my recommendation is Macrium, also create its boot media)

That clean system image can be transferred to a new SSD with no issues as its untouched by the optane software which does some unusual things, it makes a software raid and virtual SSD the sort of things that screw with imaging tools.

To use the Optane put it back in and install the software in Windows but restrict your backups to personal data (files/folders) using macrium.

Cloning the optane system to a new SSD could be troublesome, you can try asking on the Macium forums and the devs can tell you if its a safe thing to do or not.

windup

Many thanks for your reply Next010 .. I didn't realise Optane was going to be a life changing experience.
I understand it is primarily designed to speed the bootup times of traditional HDD to that of near SSD speed. As i intend to use an SSD anyway to replace the installed HDD then I'm not sure it has any real purpose apart from making my life more difficult than it need be.

Update.. starting afresh this morning I made sure my Hirens USB worked on my laptop as usual.
I then entered the Acer Bios to check each option ..
Under the 'Advanced' option I did see the installed WDC HDD listed but it was still not given a mention on the 'BOOT' option.
I then found an option to change from Optane to AHCI .. what could go wrong. Well, on reboot Windows came up with a screen to say it couldn't boot.
However, I booted from the Hirens USB and there was the HDD listed.. so I started my Image program which did a normal System partition backup. I now have to prove that by restoring it, which potentially could go wrong but no point having a System backup which doesn't backup or restore.
I'll update on that later.
So for the moment by changing this Bios option to allow a backup will solve my problem in part.

BTW .. I had already tried installing an 128GB SSD into my ancient 2nd gen i3 laptop which transformed its bootup time. I then replaced that with a 256GB leaving the 128 spare.
Casting caution to the wind I put it into the Acer, just pulling off the cables from the HDD and leaving the optane in for now.
Remarkably it booted up almost immediately from the laptop System, albeit some drivers were missing. I downloaded those and it became a new working System disk. LOL.
Took backups from both disk and so now can try a restore .. will update how that went.

Update 2.. copied HDD system backup to SSD partition, reset Bios to Optane .. booted up no problem.
Just need to find a power cable to use the HDD as additional storage. This Acer PSU has minimal connectors wheras the motherboard has 4 SATA data connectors so one HDD will have to be sufficient. Happy days.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom