New 9 channel AVR recommendation

jarosujo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

my old 55” Philips TV will be replaced by LG 65” BX OLED today. I have 2019 Nvidia Shield as media box, which I like a lot. Now I realized, that my old AVR Onkyo TX-NR609 has only 1.4a HDMI ports, so I can forget about any HDR staff and most likely Netflix 4K as well.
I guess I will need a new AVR then. Currently I have 7.1 setup, will add 2 Atmos ceiling speakers as well. So I guess I need 9 channel AVR for 7.1.2. Do you consider Denon AVC-X3700H best option for me ? It should pass everything in 4K I believe (HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision).
And Dolby Atmos and DTS:X of course. Any other options ? Marantz, Yamaha maybe ? Probably not for 1100€, that’s price of Denon 3700 around here.

Thank you

Here in the UK I have seen the Denon ARV 4500 for £849 that is about 990 euro, so maybe shop around.

Not sure about pricing where you are but Denon here is good value for money, so unless you want to use it also for music it's most likely your best bet.

7.1.2 suggests you have the room for a full 7.1.4 which is achievable with the X3700 with the addition of external amplification for the extra two channels. The Marantz SR6015 would be the equivalent (price wise) to the X3700 but limited to nine channels.

Edit. If you could find an X4500 as suggested by @ashenfie then that amp would make for a very good investment and is audiowise something of an improvement over the X3700 being a tier above.

I forgot to mention - AVR shoud have full support for hdmi 2.1. Usage is 90% movies and 10% music.

I forgot to mention - AVR shoud have full support for hdmi 2.1. Usage is 90% movies and 10% music.

hi J its far too early with regards hdmi 2.1 and expectation for "full support" not even what we have out there in hdmi 2.1 does full support.

keep in mind its a feature set... any maker can have one hdmi 2.1 feature enabled and call it "hdmi 2.1" capable. when it likely will not do what you want hdmi 2.1 wise

what is it you are chasing specifically with hdmi 2.1 this is important to know as you will specifically need to check what ever looking at supports this

also keep in mind officially brands like sound united (make denon and marantz) actually suggest not to use hdmi 2.1 on your avr.. instead suggest to plug hdmi 2.1 devices straight into the TV and use earc out to AVR...

basically any avr will handle this ... anything from 2018 onwards will have earc. anything 2016 onwards you can use a then audio earc sharc with and will do full band width audio off your TV

I fully understand what you mean, I know about hdmi 2.1 issues. I just consider it more future proof. LG OLED has hdmi 2.1 as well, I believe it's proper way to go in 2021. I don't have gaming console now, but maybe will get one in a year or two. It's not really about 8K for me, more about additional features (VRR, QFT, ALLM...) QMS is great feature as well, I really hate black screen during frequency change. I believe Denon X3700 should have full support of these hdmi 2.1 features. I don't mind paying few bucks more for it :)

I fully understand what you mean, I know about hdmi 2.1 issues. I just consider it more future proof. LG OLED has hdmi 2.1 as well, I believe it's proper way to go in 2021. I don't have gaming console now, but maybe will get one in a year or two. It's not really about 8K for me, more about additional features (VRR, QFT, ALLM...) QMS is great feature as well, I really hate black screen during frequency change. I believe Denon X3700 should have full support of these hdmi 2.1 features. I don't mind paying few bucks more for it :)
being perfectly honest, i dont trust many brands to get this right. i would have expected both denon/marantz and yamaha to get it right first time and they both seem to have flunked it :D

i would wait up to be sure to later this year, post june at least. the flagship denon/marantz receiver are likely to not be left with their pants down :D so probably a best bet as will get new chips sets from 2nd gen of chipsets post june date thats been bandied around :)

Well, I can't wait. Having OLED and not being able to use it's full potential (4K HDR) for another months.. it's pain :) Actually, I believe even 4K SDR won't work due to hdmi 1.4 HDCP version.

You'll not worry too much about HDMI 2.1 and 4K. You're not into gaming and there are no problems with 4K which only needs HDMI 2.0. Your only source outside of gaming is going to be 4K players, so again 2.0 is all that is needed. Streaming gets nowhere near the output that 2.1 is required for.

As for future proofing it's unlikely 8K is going to make it to streaming services because of prohibitive band width and the cost involved to the streaming services. Even with 8K you will need a screen of over 77'' to see any significant difference to 4K OLED from native 8K inputs and at the moment there aren't even any of those.

I've got a 65'' OLED and a Denon receiver that is HDMI 2.0 and I've no intention of changing the receiver for at least another four years.

OK, so let's say I stick with hdmi 2.0 What are good options for 9 channel AVR with maximum price limit of 1100 € (price of Denon X3700).

Here in the UK I have seen the Denon ARV 4500 for £849 that is about 990 euro, so maybe shop around.

Not sure about pricing where you are but Denon here is good value for money, so unless you want to use it also for music it's most likely your best bet.
Bear in mind that the X4500H is not from the most recent product cycle, hence why it would be cheaper. The X3700H sells for circa £1000 at the moment in the UK.

Bear in mind that the X4500H is not from the most recent product cycle, hence why it would be cheaper. The X3700H sells for circa £1000 at the moment in the UK.
To be frank it's probably your best option. As above though, the benefits of 2.1 are somewhat overhyped to be fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so let's say I stick with hdmi 2.0 What are good options for 9 channel AVR with maximum price limit of 1100 € (price of Denon X3700).
Yamaha is yet to release their new nine channels AV amps and there does seem to be little choice at the moment which is without doubt problems caused by the pandemic. Stock of all manufacturers seems to be erratic to say the least. Another knock on effect of that shortage of stock is that prices that usually start falling in the spring are remaining stubbornly high.

Realistically, unless you can find stock of last year's models is the Denon X3700 and the Marantz SR6015.

I set up a 3700h at the weekend, currently running 7.1 and when I chucked in the Mad Max Blu Ray which has an Atmos Soundtrack I was blown away. The difference from my 10 year old Denon 2310 is stunning. I know some feel the Denon sound is warmer and less bright than Yamaha, for example, but I've always liked their sound and it sounded good to me. Plan to eventually go 7.1.4 (maybe 7.2.4) as funding allows, but we shall see. I have a small dedicated room, so the 3700h is probably all I need power-wise and I am very impressed for the cost.

You are saying there is improvement in sound quality with Atmos soundtrack even without ceiling speakers ? I mean when you have 7.1 setup and you compare Dolby true hd vs Dolby atmos.

You are saying there is improvement in sound quality with Atmos soundtrack even without ceiling speakers ? I mean when you have 7.1 setup and you compare Dolby true hd vs Dolby atmos.
The X3700 has Virtual Dolby which is engaged from a drop down menu. It is by no means as good as a correctly placed and configured speaker set up. You can only get a qualified Atmos soundtrack from a minimum of 5.1.2.

My 7.1 has 2 height speakers, so I think, essentially a 5.1.2 set-up.... The amp said it was outputting Atmos and, to my ears, it was a big step up from what I was used to with True HD etc.

However, I am not an expert in these things and still working through the manual and looking at settings, but very happy from the off with the Audyssey set-up.

My partner even said it sounded better and her first reaction to getting a new amp was 'why do you need that'? 😁

My 7.1 has 2 height speakers, so I think, essentially a 5.1.2 set-up.... The amp said it was outputting Atmos and, to my ears, it was a big step up from what I was used to with True HD etc.

However, I am not an expert in these things and still working through the manual and looking at settings, but very happy from the off with the Audyssey set-up.

My partner even said it sounded better and her first reaction to getting a new amp was 'why do you need that'? 😁
With the X3700 and front height speakers configured as front height then they will be in the Atmos domain and so you are getting TrueHD and Atmos in a 5.1.2 configuration. Dolby Surround will also treat those speakers are being Atmos as will DTS Neural.

If you play an Atmos disc then your fascia display will show Atmos as will any streaming service that uses Dolby Digital Plus to deliver an Atmos soundtrack.

denon 4500, 3700 marantz 7013

personally id skip on the current gen of Denon if possible especially if dont really need any thing on the cutting edge stuff yet... let them sort their sh!t out. buy in when its good and right. no need to spend premium on half baked just because its supposedly latest and greatest ....

I will need a new AVR then.
If your only 4k HDR source is the Nvidia Shield, you could also consider an HDMI splitter. I had one that sent 4k/HDR to the TV but HD to my older AVR. It worked great as an interim measure with my 4k Firestick.

Denon X4700H should arrive today... I know it's not what you suggested, but I could not resist 1100€ price tag, brand new one. X3700H would be 880€, but over month waiting time.

Denon X4700H should arrive today... I know it's not what you suggested, but I could not resist 1100€ price tag, brand new one. X3700H would be 880€, but over month waiting time.
Even better then!

Hello,

my old 55” Philips TV will be replaced by LG 65” BX OLED today. I have 2019 Nvidia Shield as media box, which I like a lot. Now I realized, that my old AVR Onkyo TX-NR609 has only 1.4a HDMI ports, so I can forget about any HDR staff and most likely Netflix 4K as well.
I guess I will need a new AVR then. Currently I have 7.1 setup, will add 2 Atmos ceiling speakers as well. So I guess I need 9 channel AVR for 7.1.2. Do you consider Denon AVC-X3700H best option for me ? It should pass everything in 4K I believe (HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision).
And Dolby Atmos and DTS:X of course. Any other options ? Marantz, Yamaha maybe ? Probably not for 1100€, that’s price of Denon 3700 around here.

Thank you
I just got the X3700H for my set up a 7.2.2 for now and later a 7.2.4 with a power amp installed.
So far set up has shown everything works, well.
Not seeing any unexpected limitations or issues at all.
I have the Cx oled.I found a US dist had them in stock offered me a 100.00 discount to order not sure about in the UK though.,

Wow, what a great price!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom