1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 8mb colour Pronto!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Paul D, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Does anybody know when this new remote will be available?. The model number is TSU6000 The American rrp is $999 gulp!. But i think i will still get one as it does IR + RF!. Does anybody know if the RF will control X10?

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    $999!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The whole point of the Pronto is surely affordability!
    They have gone of to the AV land in the clouds I think.
    What's that in UK £'s? About £690 approx. Bonkers. Do you really have that much money to pay for a remote? Is your set up a biggy? Can you justify it?
    But more importantly, the courage to tell the other half? [​IMG]

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 20-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 20-02-2001).]

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember reading a discussion that ran along these line on the avs forum a while ago.

The price is high, but compared to a few grand for a crestron (er - think thats right?) it's a bargin.

I won't be getting one though! [​IMG]

Jim

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    At £200-£300 it was comparable to a Crestron and others, but now it's going up, it's joining them.
    At £200-£300 it was a shall I or shan't I buy it, at £690+, it's a no no.

------------------

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much are crestrons then?

And are they the A4 sized touch screen colour things? What can they do anyway?

Jim

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Their reactor can hurt your head if exposed to it for too long. [​IMG]

------------------

7. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think we will probably find that if the 8mb Pronto is going to sell for $999 in the States, it will no doubt be at least £1,000 over here. Most of the stuff that comes over the pond ends up costing us the same in ££££s as it does in $$$$s over there. It sucks big time.
    I doubt I will bother as my Pronto does a brilliant job at a quarter of the price.

Caroline

8. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pronto seems to be one of the very few HC items that's not actually more expensive this side of the pond. I love mine, it's a truely flexible piece of kit. As good as having a colour screen sounds, £700 or so just aint realistic. Now if it was to be about twice the size, a bit like a mini creston......could be worth thinking about. (in about 2 years [​IMG])

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

9. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Pronto's are made in Belguim...this could be why they're not more expensive in the UK.

Ian

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

UK price will most proberly be £999 as thats how the US->UK price for electrical goods normally work out at.

Not the 8MB Colour version is the Pronto Pro, this version is intended to with extremely high end equipment (ie. those that spend $100,000's on thier home cinema setup)

An updated "affordable" version of the normal Pronto (now with 2MB of memory) is alos being released.

11. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you compare the Pronto Pro to a Crestron $4000 or a Panja $3200 it is a bargain....and when you compare a Porshe 911 Carrera 4 $85,000 to a Ferrari F40 $135,000 the Proshe is a bargain. Of course I can't afford any of the afore mentioned equipment so they are meaningless bargains to me [​IMG]

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Philips are missing a trick here. I'm sure they'd achieve similar profits on the colour Pronto by lowering the price and achieving more sales. Hell, we'd all love one at a realistic price.

Unfortunately, as we all know, the way the product lifecycle curve works is that they have to ensure high initial unit profit margins to recoup R&D investment. It will be a while until the colour Pronto is down at current Pronto levels.

Seems akin to projectors methinks...

13. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see that phillips have had to spend a lot on R&D for the colour Pronto. Most of that would have been done in bringing the original Pronto to market. All they're doing now is bringing us a colour screen (ala gameboy) surely not very taxing technology wise these days? The extra megs are needed purely for the difference between B&W & colour files.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

14. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arthur is correct...I own a Casio Cassiopia, it is full color and has 32Mb ROM and 32Mb RAM as well a removable smart media card port. It runs Windows CE, plays MP3's, wireless web, and will do about a millions other things (except control AV equipment) all for $500. So I agree with Arthur, Phillips really is gouging the public....they already have the technology they just want us to pay a premium for it. I wish they would go for volume instead of unit margin too.

15. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Mmmmmmm......
    I think i set myself up for this one!. I wouldn't pay £690 for just having colour. I would however pay about £450-£500 for having colour + radio control of my X10 lighting. I think it would be the finishing touch to my home cinema (Costing about £4000 all in). With the pronto the $US-£UK doesn't apply. The pronto can cost more in the states. I think philips will release it at about £599 inc vat and letsautomate will discount it to £550 then soon after £500 (heres hoping!). I think it would be a cool piece of kit. Some people would call spending £200 pounds on the current pronto madness, its just peoples needs/wants are different. And no i am not loaded but i don't smoke (therefore saving about eighty quid a month!). Only go night clubbing once or twice a month. And contuary to my screen name only have a couple of cans of lager at the weekends etc. So i don't smoke or **** my hard earned cash up the wall!.

PS not having kids yet helps!!

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

16. Mark johnson

Mark johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased the b&w version from letsbuyit.com for £179 WITH the docking station. I already own the marantz rc 2000 mkII which just chews up batteries.
    I wondered when the colour version would come out, but at that price the pronto is just out of my league, even if i could afford it, i would not be able to justify it with the missus.

17. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Mark you could try this.
    Buy your missus something nice.
    Tell her you used the money you were saving up for the new remote.
    Let her swoon at your thoughtfulness.
    She will then probably ask how much is your remote.
    Don't answer just tell her it doesn't matter now because you have spent the money on the present.
    She should say that if you really want the remote she will put towards it!.
    Failing that pay for it on your credit card then hide the bill!!....Paul

------------------
    Reality is just an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol....

18. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, you say you have just purchased one from letsbuyit, have they delivered yet???? If so how quick were they?

19. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow isn't that amazing, all those components, design work and software and lucky for phillips the price somehow turns out to be $999. What a lucky coincidence for them.

Some people may be unkind enough to say they are soaking the rich first, you no the sad bloke who wants something before his mates get it (OK thats me).

I would imagine in a few months the price will drop substantially. After all UK prices have gone from £250 to less than £200 in the last 6 months or so.

20. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you honestly believe that Philips (thats PHILIPS) will produce a £999 remote. Come on!! I have a pronto. It's fine, but lets face it, its a brick compared to my i-paq organiser, which like the casio (but lighter and thinner) is colour, 32 Mb etc. You can d/l software to make it a remote contol!

Philips are not stupid! Joe public will shoot them down. Philips is not a brand of quality so I can't imagine your esoteric buyers will be swayed.

p.s. I have Philips. They made me lose £240 by supporting a TV supplier who maintained that widescreen TVs are supposed to have bendy pictures in 4:3 mode.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Question and a Post in one go.
    I had a brief encounter with a Handspring Visor, which had IR and a remote control program for programming equipment (you could even teach it to open your friends car door, but thats another story).

Does anyone know of any IR add-ons or remote software available for the likes of the Casiopedia or HP Jornada or other handheld Pocket PC???

22. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I may be guessing here, but wouldn't the 'Pronto Pro' need to come with some other gadgetry if it's going to include RF control of devices?

If I understand how these things work, that will be the case and there will be an RF receiver to put near the IR ready equipment you have. The distinct advantage to that is that line of sight will no longer be needed to have control - worth it? Well, I suppose that will depend, as will the colour facility. I've spent countless hours programming my Pronto and if I had to contend with colour as well, I'm not sure I can face it [​IMG]

This extra equipment is probably what's responsible for some of the price hike, as well as Philips cottoning on to the fact there isn't a whole lot of competition out there, even at that price. Home cinema isn't exactly a hobby for the impoverished [​IMG]

23. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have a Palm III. I downloaded the Omniremote software and use the palm as a universal remote. It works fine and has macro facilities timers etc and you can design the layout for each of your components. There are no common buttons eg volume or scroll buttons since it is a PDA after all, so you have to use the screen for everything. A couple of tips though:
    1. Since the IR is designed for beaming data from one unit to another, it is not as powerful as a remote control unit. You therefore have to point it straight at your equipment preferably from not more than about 3 metres.
    2. Don't bother to buy the add-on IR booster which claims to amplify the IR signal about 300 fold. It makes absolutely no difference to my unit.
    3. As you will use your palm in your TV room in the evenings you may forget to put it back in your briefcase/handbag and be left without your PDA at work the next day.

So there you have it - 20 USD to upgrade something you already have and use for a million other things - a fraction of the price of a pronto.