New 805: Help with PS3.

StuIRL

Novice Member
Hi all,

I just purchased the Onkyo 805 over the weekend and so far I am having great fun tinkering around with it. So far it’s proving to be a super amp.
I have also been reading through tonnes of threads on here over the weekend so I hope im not asking questions that have been answered a 100 times, I just cant seem to find definite answers.

Firstly, I have a PS3 running to the amp via hdmi. Now on certain blu-rays when I check the display on the PS3 I see it is running TrueHD, which I am then sending to the amp via LPCM. The amp will then display this as multichannel when I select "Surr" on the remote.
Does this mean im hearing the best sound from the PS3/BR disc through the amp?.

Ok so then when watching Die Hard:4 BR, I ran it the same way, but the PS3 displays DTS-MA. Again running this over LPCM, am i getting the full DTS-MA sound?

I then changed this to Bitstream, as I was reading that the latest update on the PS3 will run DTS-MA over bitstream. But now the PS3 displays just "DTS" as does the amp. There is no sign of "DTS-MA". Am I doing something wrong here?.

I am not too bothered about fancy lights on the amp or anything, I just want to make sure I am getting the best possible sound from the PS3 through the 805.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Stu.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I just purchased the Onkyo 805 over the weekend and so far I am having great fun tinkering around with it. So far it's proving to be a super amp.
I have also been reading through tonnes of threads on here over the weekend so I hope im not asking questions that have been answered a 100 times, I just cant seem to find definite answers.

Firstly, I have a PS3 running to the amp via hdmi. Now on certain blu-rays when I check the display on the PS3 I see it is running TrueHD, which I am then sending to the amp via LPCM. The amp will then display this as multichannel when I select "Surr" on the remote.
Does this mean im hearing the best sound from the PS3/BR disc through the amp?.

Ok so then when watching Die Hard:4 BR, I ran it the same way, but the PS3 displays DTS-MA. Again running this over LPCM, am i getting the full DTS-MA sound?

I then changed this to Bitstream, as I was reading that the latest update on the PS3 will run DTS-MA over bitstream. But now the PS3 displays just "DTS" as does the amp. There is no sign of "DTS-MA". Am I doing something wrong here?.

I am not too bothered about fancy lights on the amp or anything, I just want to make sure I am getting the best possible sound from the PS3 through the 805.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Stu.
Hi StuIRL. :)
The PS3 decodes HD audio and then sends to your amp :smashin: will appear as Mutli-ch,which is correct. :)
Leave the PS3 set to LPCM,and don't worry ;) your getting the best possible sound. :thumbsup:
The PS3 can't bitstream HD audio and never will.

All the best.

Dr E

Standard Member
Hi Stu

What I do is if the disc you are trying to play is a normal DD 5.1 audio select Bitsream on Ps3. The sound to my ears sounds much better in bitsream then LPCM.

If the disc is any of the Hd soundtracks such as DTS or DTS MA set the Ps3 to LPCM. Once again sounds much better then Bitstream.

Hope it helps.

Doc

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom