New 8 Series Viera launched in March!!

steddyman

Established Member
Reaction score
GrahamC said:
Asolute fortune........ is my guess on the price. :cool:
Yup, but hopefully having a new top of the range offering will put some downward pressure on the price of the existing Viera and series 7 stuff.

- Julian

> The existing Viera will go to be replaced by the PA50, new SD Viera range, > and new HD Vieras, PV500, will be introduced a month or so later.

Yep, I knew about the German posting. What I hadn't seen posted elsewhere was the date of March and a proper article in English. Heck if its March then I'm gonna forget all about the PW7 and wait for this.

Steddyman

hornydragon said:
its not as simple as PA50 (PE50 in UK?) SD and PV500 will all be HD and dont expect them to be in the shops in march........
Ooh, what do you know then HornyD? Spill the beans mate :devil: I was reading a google translation of the already posted German article and it seemed pretty clear cut that the PA50 would be SD res at 37 & 42" and the PV500 would be HD at 37", 42" & 50". It reckoned March for the PA50 debut with the PV500's following around late April through May with the 50" arriving around June.

S.

well as yet panny (in fact no one make a non ALIS 37" with 720+ vertical pixels) and panny dont make a 50" with less than 768 pixels so either there is a brand new HD array 37" panel coming or it wont be HD UK launch is March so will have more details then. Also as the UK gets a different version of Veira range with DVB tuners relying on German sites is a tad daftperhaps there will a DVB tuner in all of them , perhaps none.....

Confusing stuff... I'm yet to see a clear explanation on the two lines of Panasonic displays/TV's about to get on the market (in a matter of weeks now). Have called a Panashop retailer and the on-line vendor that offer the TH-37PA50 on their site (pre-order only, though), they're both still to call me back with an answer (not holding my breath though... :rolleyes: ).

1/ I expect the Viera 37/42PA50 series to have the same resolutions as the PA30 series, i.e. 853x480. HD, d'you know differently?

2/ As for the PV500 series, these supposedly (as per the announcements) will *all* have "HD" native resolutions and the "HD Ready" label. This means even the 37" display will have at least 720 lines of vertical resolution.

I thought (but may be wrong) the 37" PV500 was going to have a 1024x720 resolution and the 42" PV500 a 1280x720 (native HDTV res - at last!! :eek: ) native resolution.

This is all TBC though, since it would imply a significant reduction in min. pixel size, esp. on the 37" display...

peezee said:
2/ As for the PV500 series, these supposedly (as per the announcements) will *all* have "HD" native resolutions and the "HD Ready" label. This means even the 37" display will have at least 720 lines of vertical resolution.

I thought (but may be wrong) the 37" PV500 was going to have a 1024x720 resolution and the 42" PV500 a 1280x720 (native HDTV res - at last!! :eek: ) native resolution.

This is all TBC though, since it would imply a significant reduction in min. pixel size, esp. on the 37" display...
And the 37" would have a completely different aspect ratio... seems a bit dumb... we'll just have to see, won't we?

Dutch, thanks for responding to Sulis. ;)
Ditto for 1024x768 plasma screens (the majority of "HD" 42" displays today btw) - rectangular pixels is the answer.

Now, finally, here's detailed information on the TH-37PA50, as it appears on this site:
http://url.son-video.com/Rayons/Video/Plasma/Panasonic_TH37PA50E.html

Entrée S-Vidéo (Hosiden)
Entrée audio L+R (RCA)
Prise VGA (15 broches)
Entrée vidéo composante 3 x RCA
Entrée vidéo (RCA)
3 prises péritel (RVB, S-vidéo, composite)
IOW, Inputs: 1 S-Video, 1 Composite, 1 Component (RCA), 1 VGA, 3 Scarts

Hence a confirmation of what I thought: there's still no digital input on this screen, no DVI nor HDMi. Guess they REALLY really want to differentiate it from the "HD Ready" PV500's line-up, huh...? :rolleyes:

On the pic (from Web page above, I pasted it below) of the back panel, the VGA connector is not visible. I hope they didn't make the mistake again to place it on the front site. Well, since there doesn't seem to be a front panel (similar to the PA30's series anyway) and since the S-Video connector is not visible either, I guess there's hope here... Maybe they're placed on one side of the panel...? :confused:

Connectic_AR_m.gif

EDIT: just found out that pic is the exact same as the one on their TH-37PA30 page, probably not accurate then! :rolleyes:

Will this announcement include a PW8 panel. I am holding off until there ia Panansonic panel capable of showing HD.

I stand corrected on the pixel issue... :) Does having rectangular pixels cause any side-effects?

Sulis,

Yes, if you wish to use the display as a PC monitor everything will be stretched. This problem can be overcome but square pixels are preferable.