1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 8 Series Viera launched in March!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steddyman, Feb 21, 2005.

1. steddyman

steddyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Asolute fortune........ is my guess on the price. :cool:

3. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, but hopefully having a new top of the range offering will put some downward pressure on the price of the existing Viera and series 7 stuff.

- Julian

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
  5. steddyman

steddyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    > The existing Viera will go to be replaced by the PA50, new SD Viera range, > and new HD Vieras, PV500, will be introduced a month or so later.

Yep, I knew about the German posting. What I hadn't seen posted elsewhere was the date of March and a proper article in English. Heck if its March then I'm gonna forget all about the PW7 and wait for this.

Steddyman

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its not as simple as PA50 (PE50 in UK?) SD and PV500 will all be HD and dont expect them to be in the shops in march........

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Ooh, what do you know then HornyD? Spill the beans mate :devil: I was reading a google translation of the already posted German article and it seemed pretty clear cut that the PA50 would be SD res at 37 & 42" and the PV500 would be HD at 37", 42" & 50". It reckoned March for the PA50 debut with the PV500's following around late April through May with the 50" arriving around June.

S.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well as yet panny (in fact no one make a non ALIS 37" with 720+ vertical pixels) and panny dont make a 50" with less than 768 pixels so either there is a brand new HD array 37" panel coming or it wont be HD UK launch is March so will have more details then. Also as the UK gets a different version of Veira range with DVB tuners relying on German sites is a tad daftperhaps there will a DVB tuner in all of them , perhaps none.....

9. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Confusing stuff... I'm yet to see a clear explanation on the two lines of Panasonic displays/TV's about to get on the market (in a matter of weeks now). Have called a Panashop retailer and the on-line vendor that offer the TH-37PA50 on their site (pre-order only, though), they're both still to call me back with an answer (not holding my breath though... :rolleyes: ).

1/ I expect the Viera 37/42PA50 series to have the same resolutions as the PA30 series, i.e. 853x480. HD, d'you know differently?

2/ As for the PV500 series, these supposedly (as per the announcements) will *all* have "HD" native resolutions and the "HD Ready" label. This means even the 37" display will have at least 720 lines of vertical resolution.

I thought (but may be wrong) the 37" PV500 was going to have a 1024x720 resolution and the 42" PV500 a 1280x720 (native HDTV res - at last!! :eek: ) native resolution.

This is all TBC though, since it would imply a significant reduction in min. pixel size, esp. on the 37" display...

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And the 37" would have a completely different aspect ratio... seems a bit dumb... we'll just have to see, won't we?

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The current US HD 37" model (TH-37PX25U) has a 1024x720 16:9 native resolution - so it will have rectangular pixels. What a shame it doesn't take 720p through component or HDMI, though... :rolleyes:

Steve

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...urfModel=TH-37PX25U/P&surfCategory=Plasma TVs

12. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dutch, thanks for responding to Sulis. ;)
    Ditto for 1024x768 plasma screens (the majority of "HD" 42" displays today btw) - rectangular pixels is the answer.

Now, finally, here's detailed information on the TH-37PA50, as it appears on this site:
    http://url.son-video.com/Rayons/Video/Plasma/Panasonic_TH37PA50E.html

IOW, Inputs: 1 S-Video, 1 Composite, 1 Component (RCA), 1 VGA, 3 Scarts

Hence a confirmation of what I thought: there's still no digital input on this screen, no DVI nor HDMi. Guess they REALLY really want to differentiate it from the "HD Ready" PV500's line-up, huh...? :rolleyes:

On the pic (from Web page above, I pasted it below) of the back panel, the VGA connector is not visible. I hope they didn't make the mistake again to place it on the front site. Well, since there doesn't seem to be a front panel (similar to the PA30's series anyway) and since the S-Video connector is not visible either, I guess there's hope here... Maybe they're placed on one side of the panel...? :confused:

[​IMG]

EDIT: just found out that pic is the exact same as the one on their TH-37PA30 page, probably not accurate then! :rolleyes:

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  14. bstonehouse

bstonehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Will this announcement include a PW8 panel. I am holding off until there ia Panansonic panel capable of showing HD.

15. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I stand corrected on the pixel issue... :) Does having rectangular pixels cause any side-effects?

16. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sulis,

Yes, if you wish to use the display as a PC monitor everything will be stretched. This problem can be overcome but square pixels are preferable.