New 75" advice on choices (Short list)

johnhoneyman

In the market for a 75" and have narrowed down to the following, where two are LED and two are QLED.

Still undecided about which to opt for.
Viewing angle is not an issue with most TV watched in the evenings in a fairly dark room with back ambient lighting.
Mostly SKY Q and Netflix viewing with the ocassional bluray at weekends.
Haven't dabbled into HDR yet, so would be a nice to have to future proof the purchase.

Was tempted to go TCL and utilise the 90 return policy (If the set turned out to be not that great) as could save us a good £500 (It was £999 last week)

QLED
TCL - 75C8115K - £1,149.99 - Costco only

Samsung QE75Q65TAUXXU - £1498- Costco Or J. Lewis

LED
Sony - KD75XH9005BU - £1599 (Currys/Richer sounds etc.

Sony - KD75XH9296BU -Currys only but same price as above but higher model number (unsure of the difference though)

Any help and advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

I've moved this to the correct forum section.
If you didn't already see it, I have a guide with all the best buy TVs here:

Go for the highest tier model you can afford. Two of the TVs you mention are in the guide and recommended (TCL Mid tier, Sony high tier) but one is in the 'alternative TVs I struggle to recommend' section because its bad value for money (Q60T/Q65T).

Beware, the highest spec in your list is the Sony XH90 (and its varients like the XH92) and is still not a very capable HDR TV. If you want to use HDR you may be better off looking at the higher tier XH95 instead.

helloworld2010

Standard Member
Hi @johnhoneyman

I'm in a similar predicament as you, looking for a 75" TV. My primary source of content - Netflix, Prime and Apple TV - all through Apple TV 4K. Also, 4 blu rays via a dedicated blu ray player.

After many weeks of research and head scratching! Finally settled on Sony, out of brand loyalty but more importantly the amazing reviews for the xh9005 for closely matching my requirements. Its their mid-range model currently priced at £1499.98 at Costco. Not yet ordered though, still "researching"!

BTW, based on what I've read online, the difference between xh9005 and xh9296 is the positioning of the legs/stand. Apparently, xh9005 has a fixed stand position, while the xh9296 has adjustable two-way stand positions.

I had considered TCL from Costco, in fact even placed an order then cancelled!

Last edited:

FusedANUBIS 1

Wouldn’t even consider the QT65 just have a look at the judder/stutter thread in the Samsung section it’s full of members who suffer with issues that Samsung clearly cannot fix as they’ve released a few updates and they still have the same problems some have even had 2 or 3 replacements and still have the same issues which shows it’s software not hardware if I was you I would look at the Sony xh9005 or try to go for the xh9505 if you can afford it hope this helps👍

johnhoneyman

Thanks for the responses and apologies for the delayed response.
Opted for the 75" TCL as it came down to £999.99 again - £500 - £600 less than the Sony xh9005, so took a chance.
This is a heavy beast of a TV and build quality looks good enough.

Mainly watch Netflix/Prime and SKY programmes in HD/UHD in the evening and darker images are 'patchy' and don't appear in HD like quality - Hard to describe as I don't know the proper terminology.

A new one is on order as it arrived with the Onkyo speaker damaged - will compare the pictures and then decide what to do (Have 90 days I guess)

johnhoneyman

Hi @johnhoneyman

I'm in a similar predicament as you, looking for a 75" TV. My primary source of content - Netflix, Prime and Apple TV - all through Apple TV 4K. Also, 4 blu rays via a dedicated blu ray player.

After many weeks of research and head scratching! Finally settled on Sony, out of brand loyalty but more importantly the amazing reviews for the xh9005 for closely matching my requirements. Its their mid-range model currently priced at £1499.98 at Costco. Not yet ordered though, still "researching"!

BTW, based on what I've read online, the difference between xh9005 and xh9296 is the positioning of the legs/stand. Apparently, xh9005 has a fixed stand position, while the xh9296 has adjustable two-way stand positions.

I had considered TCL from Costco, in fact even placed an order then cancelled!
How are you getting on with the Sony?

helloworld2010

Standard Member
How are you getting on with the Sony?
Hi John,
Sorry to hear about your experience thus far. Costco are really good so should take care of you.

As for my experience, I am super delighted with the TV. Managed to get a refurbished from Sony Centres Direct at a really good price and its even better than I had anticipated, however, I had not seen or test-driven very many TVs in person, due to Covid etc. so my benchmark was low as you can't really appreciate picture quality via YouTube. Also, horror stories of peoples experiences with the Sony refurb made me a little apprehensive but went for it anyways. Glad I did as the TV turned out to be amazing - colours pop, darks are super dark, even when watching movies at night with no lights. If I had to be super picky, there are couple minor concerns:
1. There is some "blooming(?)" around white text in complete black background but it doesn't bother me.
2. Occasionally, I notice that there is a very minor issue with audio & video being out of sync. Only notice it sometimes.

Note: using dedicated 4K blu ray player. For streaming Netflix, AppleTV, Amazon using 4k Apple TV and some Sky.

johnhoneyman

Hi John,
Sorry to hear about your experience thus far. Costco are really good so should take care of you.

As for my experience, I am super delighted with the TV. Managed to get a refurbished from Sony Centres Direct at a really good price and its even better than I had anticipated, however, I had not seen or test-driven very many TVs in person, due to Covid etc. so my benchmark was low as you can't really appreciate picture quality via YouTube. Also, horror stories of peoples experiences with the Sony refurb made me a little apprehensive but went for it anyways. Glad I did as the TV turned out to be amazing - colours pop, darks are super dark, even when watching movies at night with no lights. If I had to be super picky, there are couple minor concerns:
1. There is some "blooming(?)" around white text in complete black background but it doesn't bother me.
2. Occasionally, I notice that there is a very minor issue with audio & video being out of sync. Only notice it sometimes.

Note: using dedicated 4K blu ray player. For streaming Netflix, AppleTV, Amazon using 4k Apple TV and some Sky.
Good to hear your TV meets your expectations.

I am still price tracking the higher end Sony's but they ain't shifting yet.

Watching a Sky HD broadcast was disappointing with lots of blacks appearing 'shady' with rough edges (Hard to explain)
Last night watched zerozerozero in UHD HDR (SKY) and oh what a difference.
Crisp and clear picture.
Perhaps some motion issues though even though that feature was turned off.

This weekend it will be Alien Covenant on UHD (UHD player)
Lets see how it fairs

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom