1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 7205 & Projector Mount Problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timbo21, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi All,

Finally got my 7205 home yesterday, that I ordered ages ago. It's been a long
    time waiting since I've had inumerable DIY nightmares. I've just got a bit
    of wallpaper to finish (although that's been trouble too).

I've been pretty good with equipment, as in finding out all necessary foibles etc. However, I've made a bit of a boo-boo....

I thought it would be best to get a nice oak bespoke projector shelf from
    Ian Edwards (they've done a great job), & mount the pj so it fires directly
    at the centre of the screen, thus avoiding any keystoning. I just couldn't understand why people were opting for those ugly industrial ceiling mounts,
    which seemed to be way off centre to the screen & - what I thought - involved having to use keystoning.

Oh, silly me :rolleyes:. The reason, as you all know, that you were all using these ceiling mounts was because of the offset Infocus, & many others, build in to their lenses. Great for table-top mounts or ceilings, but ***** for bang in the middle shelf mounts. I'm sure I read that it was best to fire the pj 90 degrees into the middle of the screen :oops: :suicide: :suicide: :nono: :lesson: (Wow I'm really getting good use of the smilies on this one).

The best I seem to get is having the pj about 10" above my head when I'm sitting, with the pj tilted down. The edges seem only very very slightly squiffy, but I'm just a bit concerned if this is okay or not.

Other idea is to put shelf high up to ceiling, rest pj upside down on shelf. Only
    trouble with this is, although most cooling is done on the sides, there are some little heat holes in the casing of the pj at the top, which would be
    obstructed. Possible solution is to use some castor feet to lift pj away
    from shelf, they are about 1" in height, but I don't know if this is enough clearance?

HELP :lease:

p.s. Can't afford ceiling mount, especially since the shelf cost about £80,
    & I can't get to the other side of ceiling plasterboard to put piece of wood
    for screws to bite in for a ceiling mount. All help appreciated. Thank you.

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Thankfully, Infocus said I could rest the pj upside down on some castor feet
    & put the shelf up near the ceiling :thumbsup: Phew, that was close.

Well, I guess I'm talking to myself on this one. Nothing new there then ;)

Anything with 7205 in the thread title seems to get ignored over here, since hardly any forum members have them. Whereas, on the AVS forum many do!

You see, I am talking to myself.

Better go now :hiya:

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think I've read that some people do indeed rest their PJs inverted on a high shelf so yes you should be fine... as long as you don't lose the remote...PJ :)

4. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I hope I don't. I don't fancy watching whilst performing a headstand. :)