New 65" tv. Oled935 or wait for miniLED?

plagiator

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to swap my 50" Panasonic CX802 for a new 65" tv. My current one is connected to JBL Bar 5.1 at the moment. My preference has been Philips OLED 935 so far. I like the reviews, looks and attached soundbar enabling Dolby Atmos. I also really want to try Ambilight.... What's more, I can then get rid of the JBL bar and get some money back .
The only thing troubling me about OLEDs is a potential burn-in on the screen. Although, from what I've read, Philips uses a new technology on that screen, preventing such occurences and which is apparently 95% effective. Sounds good but how is it really in practice?
Recently I started to think about the new 2021 mini-LEDs from Philips. Especially, the 9636 one. Again, it looks very promising in deed.

What do you recommend? Should I go for 935 now or wait till at least August for the new line up? Maybe there are tvs from other brands someone can recommend? Oh, I use the tv to watch Netflix mainly. Also, standard tv channels, mostly Full HD, some sports too. Gaming very rarely, so not too worried about lack of HDMI 2.1.

Many thanks.

if concerned next best tv defo the Sony XH95 65 inch if can find in stock.

Hi,

The only thing troubling me about OLEDs is a potential burn-in on the screen. Although, from what I've read, Philips uses a new technology on that screen, preventing such occurences and which is apparently 95% effective. Sounds good but how is it really in practice?

Many thanks.
I can't see that Philips can do anything to reduce a problem which is fundamental to the panels all of which are made by LG Display? If LG introduced a development then that would be another story.

Not sure how effectively it works, but there is something.
Philips OLED burn-in solution is 95 percent effective
If you read the report it does not say 95% effective, Philips (Tack) say they are 95% of the way to solving/minimising the problem. This appears to be a logo cancelling process leaving what behind is unclear. Many OLED users however report burn in as a result of "ticker" bars such as are found on News channels. There is no mention of the new technology tackling this type of burn in.

If you read the report it does not say 95% effective, Philips (Tack) say they are 95% of the way to solving/minimising the problem. This appears to be a logo cancelling process leaving what behind is unclear. Many OLED users however report burn in as a result of "ticker" bars such as are found on News channels. There is no mention of the new technology tackling this type of burn in.
You may be right. So, basically, there are no OLEDs from any manufacturer that are resistant to burn-ins? Not sure if I'm ready to worry about it all the time...
In that case, what is the best LED/mini-LED now, combining great picture and sound? or as I asked in my first post, maybe wait for the 9636 from Philips?

Anti burn-in

MOD EDIT* English only please.

Last edited by a moderator:
With my limited knowledge of Dutch I still do not see any reference to moving or static bars at the bottom of the screen that seem to grace so many news channels, morning shows and some others.
Please see This Post as an example.

Last edited:
Screen burn is becoming less and less of an issue. Post-2018 panels seem to be far more resilient.

From everything I've seen and heard, recent reports of screen burn issues are very much few and far between.

As long as you're relatively mindful of what's being displayed, the chances of you being affected are very slim indeed.

With my limited knowledge of Dutch I still do not see any reference to moving or static bars at the bottom of the screen that seem to grace so many news channels, morning shows and some others.
Please see This Post as an example.
Yes, It's dimming "STATIC" content.. So if it is moving.. That will a different something ??

Nothing can be done for moving static content like news ticker bars. Just have to minimise usage of those channels.

Nothing can be done for moving static content like news ticker bars. Just have to minimise usage of those channels.
If the moving tekst is on the very bottom.. And you don't want or need to read it.. You can zoom in or,.. so it gets out of the image !

I'd rather just buy another TV then do that tbh

I don't think the method Philips use is any more effective than others. You could argue LGs auto logo luminance adjustment should be the most effective method.

Be a little careful with marketing with stuff like this "95% effective" could mean so many different things. One thing is for certain though, its not going to be 95% less likely to receive burn in.

What matters is how you use the TV, what content you view and how you understand how burn in can happen, and how to avoid it.

As long as you understand these points and take care of the TV- you won't have a problem.

Regarding the new Mini LED TVs. Remember again that MiniLED is just marketing. The TVs are still FALD LCD TVs. The LEDs that light the panels are smaller, but the limitation is always going to be how many zones the TV has compared to how small the LEDs are.

I'm really not sure now. I really wanted to try an OLED now but I think I'll stay out until potential burn-ins are sorted out completely. Even though the risk is not very high I don't want to sit in front of the TV thinking how long I've been watching a certain channel and if it can potentially damage the screen.
Maybe one of the top LEDs will be a better idea for now... 🤔

I think I'll stay out until potential burn-ins are sorted out completel
You will be waiting forever, it will always be something you have to think about, and a by product of the technology. Remember with Plasma TVs? Even the last models which were more resistant to burn in could still receive it if miss-used enough.

For most people its a non-issue, to the point where most experts will tell people that its not something you should even worry about. - I personally don't think that's really fair, and its a good idea to understand how it happens in order to avoid it. What you don't want to end up doing is being one of these people who buy an OLED unaware of the risk, and use their TV in a fashion that gets them burn in.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom