New 65" or ???

clayton

Established Member
Reaction score
My current TV is a Samsung 6500RU8000 this was only purched as a stop gap as I was just about to move,
as we are in the zone of 2021 model year price reductions I'm loking to upgrade to a full array screen, I dont have sky just a humax aura box and use Netflix / Amazon.

I was originally looking at the Sony x95J 65", other options were the LG C1 and Panasonic Z1000 (OLED) but I have a large window to the right of the screen so was a little concerned about the light so maybe the Sony might be better.

Browsing the web I have now seen 75" TV's eg Sony 90j for not much more that the 65 x95J variant, having got the tape measure out the 75" screen is about 8 inches wider and deeper than my currant set, I like the thought of a larger TV but it seems huge ??

decisions decisions I'm baffled :)

I wouldn't go for the X90J, it won't be much over what you're using now.
X95J or an OLED is far more suitable.
Why are you worried about the window? OLEDs have very good reflection handling, it will only be if you get a lot of light directly on the TV, or the room is very very bright (hard in the UK) that you'll have problems using it as a living room TV.

Also worth thinking about when you use the TV, most people use theirs in the evening, not during the day when there's sun.

Thanks for the reply, I like the look of OLED's but it would have to be the 65" version, Sony centre has a deal on the XR75X94JU with 5 year warranty for £1399 but thats the same price as a new one from Currys so not sure its a deal at all, and is 75" too large for a lounge ?

I'm home at all times of the day.

The X94J and X90J are identical TVs, both in my guide in the starter HDR section. Despite its model number, the X94J is not close to the X95J.
For a more convincing HDR experience, you'll want to go for a TV that ranks higher in the guide.

Thanks I'll have a read through your guide and I hope to visit Richersounds Wednesday to view the C1 and Z1000B plus anything else.

Samsung 65QN95A is on offer at £1.074 or LG C1 £1,299 I know your going to say the LG but the samsung is so much brighter. Is one better than the other for SD content ?

Brighter isn't everything.

It can be a benefit in a well-lit room but the OLED benefits from far superior contrast as the black is black and not some partially lit greyish black.

I went from a high-end LCD, which was a great TV, to an OLED and I'd never go back. The times I miss the brightness of the LCD can be measured in fleeting moments on one hand.
The times I'm in awe of the OLED picture can't be measured.

Richersounds proved to be not much better at displaying TV's.
Stacked 3 high all set to vivid mode, The C1 was just passable for brightness the SamsungQN95 maybe too bright, I think my best option is to order online and send the TV back should I not be happy with it.

You have a very good price for the Samsung and only a decent price for the LG. So I'd go Samsung.

But you should think personally first about the type of display technology that will suit you more, or what you like the sound of better.

Can't draw conclusions demoing, unfortunately.

Dodge I'm leaning more towards the Sony X95J now its brighter than my currant tv and has better colour in my eyes to the Samsung, the only issue is the X95K now with Mini LED do I wait a few months and see if the price drops much or jump on the lower price 2121 model.

It won't get a decent price drop until Black Friday and won't be as cheap as the current model until this time next year.

TVs are cyclical and the same things happen every year. You can't predict how low the prices will go as it depends upon stock levels but the discounts start at the same time every year.

Always the same issue this time of year with the new models round the corner. Problem is, whilst the X95K may be an upgrade, there's no guarantee it will be. Plus, it will be expensive for some time, I'd say if you can wait until Black Friday, aim for the X95K, otherwise go for the X95J now.

You can never complain if you are getting a good price, and the X95J is priced very well at the moment.

Always the same issue this time of year with the new models round the corner. Problem is, whilst the X95K may be an upgrade, there's no guarantee it will be. Plus, it will be expensive for some time, I'd say if you can wait until Black Friday, aim for the X95K, otherwise go for the X95J now.

You can never complain if you are getting a good price, and the X95J is priced very well at the moment.
Would OLED ( Sony A80 65" ) give you any improvement in picture quality over LED Sony X95J 60"/75") watching regular TV plus Netfix, and is 9 feet away too close for a 75" LED.

65" A80 ordered today as it was the same price as the X95J fingers crossed.

Just an update, It would seem Costco's delivery service (kinetic logistics) are pants its now the 14th and still no TV.

IMG_20220627_182911.jpg
Disapointed with the Sony just not bright enough for me so back to Samsung with the QN95A.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom