New 65" LG OLED65B7V vs Sony KD65XF9005

magik81

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been a reader of you experts for the past 2/3 years and now finally able to get that new TV! I've been using my very old LH3000 LG for a long time now its finally run its course and I'm aiming for a 65" tele.

Usage would be Sky HD for footy, PC input, bluray and would like to start some gaming again on the ps4. I used to be a big gamer but havnt really played anything in the past 3/4 years but with a new TV that will probably change!

I've narrowed it down to the OLED or the Sony Bravia. I would say usage would be about 5/6 hours a day.

Any help would be welcomed as I would like to get it well before the World Cup starts!

Thanks guys.

This is something that I expect we will be asked a lot in the coming months, there is nothing in it. The LG B7 is a far better TV.

The Sony has just been released and costs aproximately 40% more than last years model the XE9005 and is not in the same class as the LG B7 for overall picture quality.

By comparison the LG in some places can be found about 50% percent less than its release price.

If you want an altnerative cheaper LCD look at the XE9005 instead, its the 2017 model like the LG so its not currently overpriced.

Thanks Dodgexander for the quick reply.

Throughout most of last year the OLED was the only aim but it was only recently that I started to switch to an alternative because I would like to accommodate long nights of gaming. I have a friend who got his 55B6 about two years ago and has some screen burn issues. So wanted to avoid that.

Going from an old screen like the LH3000, I figure any of todays TV's would be an instance improvement on the eye.

I have about 2.4k to spend on the new tv. Would you then say its a better choice to go for the XE9005 over the XF? I probably wont change this new tv for a good number of years.

I game approx 4-6 hours at a time on both my e6 and philips, previously to that i gamed on my LG 920V,again no screen burn issues. I also use my Philips as a pc monitor as i did the other 2. I am just aware not to leave on if i am not using it for hours on end. my pc and tv both have screen saver modes so it's not really an issue as long as your not abusive.

The benefits the oled bring out way the potential screen burn issues imo.

Well if you want a good alternative LCD for less money and you care about bang for buck rather than money no object then the XE9005 is an option or the XE9305 even.

But you take a step down quite a bit in quality compared to an OLED so its up to you.

I wrote about burn in here: OLED Burn In Risk hopefully it gives you a better idea about whether you are going to be affected or not. As already mentioned by dollag above there is no reason you can't have an OLED for gaming, many people do and most people don't have a problem.

Thanks guys.

If I could find the XE9305 I would lean towards it but I cant find any out there.

So, the XF is the better great screen but overpriced considering XE9005 is available for 30-40% less? But for the screen, and those available with my budget in mind, its the OLED B6?

I loved the B6 when I seen it so will give it another think over before the weekend.

Again thanks for the advice. Really want to try future proof myself the best I can with the budget.

I’m sure the b7 is well within your budget!

The Sony is still a great tv. I am sure you’ll be happy but for the money, it really is a no brainer

B7 or C7 or any 2017 OLED for that matter. Panasonic EZ952 or Philips POS9002 is another.

Availability of the XE93 seems poor now, sold out most places.

Quick update guys, I was all set to get the B7 OLED but my missus changed the deal (cries) and wanted an equally big screen for another room so I've had to compromise and went for the 65XE9005. All the reviews make look great so looking forward for it arriving next week.

Was unable to source XE9305 with a decent warranty.. Hasnt arrived yet but cant wait until it does! My eyes are great at spotting flaws so I'm hoping no issues.

By the way, I got it from SevenOaks Sound and Vision for 1395. Havnt bought from them before but reviews seem solid!

Quick update guys, I was all set to get the B7 OLED but my missus changed the deal (cries) and wanted an equally big screen for another room so I've had to compromise and went for the 65XE9005. All the reviews make look great so looking forward for it arriving next week.

Was unable to source XE9305 with a decent warranty.. Hasnt arrived yet but cant wait until it does! My eyes are great at spotting flaws so I'm hoping no issues.

By the way, I got it from SevenOaks Sound and Vision for 1395. Havnt bought from them before but reviews seem solid!
Great and hope you love the new TV, don't forget to let us know what you think of it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom