• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question New 60-65" TV - which one and stick with 1080p or go 4K?

ctrlz

Novice Member
I'm in the market for a new TV. Possibly not the best timing because with TV tech the way it is at the moment, I'm torn between sticking with a good quality 1080p or moving to 4K.

I'll be using it for movies, TV, PS4 and also as a giant PC monitor. I'm not bothered about 3D and sound quality isn't important as that will be handled separately. The OS / software isn't even that important as I use my PC as a media centre. So basically I'm just looking for the best panel I can get for about £1500.

I've been looking at the Sony KDL-65W855C, purely because I was looking at the KDL-55W805C last year and it looked like a great option, until I decided to go bigger. Am I assuming too much in thinking that the 855C will be of comparable quality?

Secondly, I see that there are some 4K TVs in the same sort of price range (maybe if I drop 5" or so from the size). For example the LG 60UF850V. So is it worth making the jump to 4K, or would I suffer from the limitations of cheaper 4K TVs (no HDR, poor upscaling, etc) and therefore be better off sticking with 1080p?

Any advice to help me finally reach a decision would be massively appreciated!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom