New 5th Gen Ipods, any reports?????

Twan1

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

i recently owned a sony NW HD5H but due to it being stolen am on the look out for a new mp3 player.

I hate the thought of spending more money on exactly the same unit so am looking at the new Ipod. I'd probably go for the 30Gig version.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are really???

I got a 30g ipod video 2 weeks ago in the states, I had a mini before but this just blows it away!

The videos look good on it aswell

I have it hooked up to my amp most of the time and the sound is great!

60gb has a longer battery life than the 30gb. I managed to get 22hrs 30mins on music and 4hrs 30mins vid on my 60gb very pleased. On another forum for ipods the 30gb is getting quite a lot of stick.

wait til cases are available...my 30gb black scratches easily...if color isnt important for u, get the white one...white scractches just as easily, but doesnt show as much...the screen is still very soft tho...atleast have some screen protectors lined up...the provided pouch is nice, but adds to scratching if dust and dirt are inside...ive taken the plastic pouch that the case came in and made that into a case, taping off sides to tighten it and all...works nice and shud be fine til i get a real case

The new 5g ipod software is extremely buggy....i have found the following bugs:
1. Can't turn Ipod off with play/pause button unless you start playing a different song than the one you're on.....intermittent problem
2. Song you select to start playing is skipped and the next one starts instead
3. Remember playback position doesn't always remember and just starts from beginning.
4. User Interface is much more laggy than the previous generation
5. Hard Drive spins up more frequently even for things which you would think should be buffered

Generally its a fab device. Videos are great, sound quality is superb and most of the problems listed i think are software born so should be cured shortly

they probably rushed that software out for this device...expect a firmware upgrade within a few months, i hope

I'm getting a black video ipod soon, but I am a bit worried about the lack of cases. It seems that apple are using a type of plastic that seems to scratch easily. I find it strange that its been released and no cases are available. Hopefully some third party cases will be available soon.

On a side not I found a bit of software to rip avi's to a format the video ipod can use, very usefull

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000027063418/

PioRow said:
I'm getting a black video ipod soon, but I am a bit worried about the lack of cases. It seems that apple are using a type of plastic that seems to scratch easily. I find it strange that its been released and no cases are available. Hopefully some third party cases will be available soon.
I was at the MacExpo in Olympia last week, and it seems that all the case manufacturers had been caught on the hop by the new iPods. They all said that cases will be available shortly...

Meanwhile, the plastic on the new iPods is the same plastic that iPods have used for years now. The metal back is also prone to surface marks (and fingerprints, too). I have marks on my 3G iPod (which is coming up to 2 years old soon), but they're superficial, and really nothing to worry about - just don't drop it (which I have done with mine, and put a little dent in the side... :oops: ), and don't put it in the same pocket as your car keys, say.

PioRow said:
On a side not I found a bit of software to rip avi's to a format the video ipod can use, very usefull

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000027063418/
Also, Quicktime Pro (ie, not the free Quicktime Player) can export any readable movie to iPod format in one operation.

Mac users can also use the utility Video2Pod:

http://www.onlymac.de/html/video2pod_en.html

I just got a 60g video and it's jaw droppingly good.

Bear in mind that this is my first ipod though so I might still be in dribble mode.

Video quality is awesome, battery life is ok and it's just so easy to use. Well recommended.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom