New 5G ipod video, inline remote does it exist?

shahedz

Distinguished Member
i am tempted to buy a new 5G ipod, the thing i want to know is , can you buy an inline remote for it. i dont fancy pulling it out eveytime i want to forward a song . so can you get an inline remote for it?

mcfarfs

Banned
Strange you should ask that, on all previous iPods (as far as I am aware) a basic remote, without a screen, has been available. However with the release of the 5G, and possibly the Nano...I can't really remember....,Apple have decided to scrap this, so the new iPods don't even have an input for a remote.

So the answer is no.

shahedz

Distinguished Member
that is the answer i was dreading, i thought it didnt because it didnt have the remote connection near the headphone but i waas hoping maybe they changed the remote connection. i dont understand why they dont have the remote? :confused: it was so useful.

shahedz

Distinguished Member
this conflicts with what mcfarfs said above, but i hope you are right as a remote is definitely on my wish list, but i hope apple have put the required connectivieity in place for a remote in the first place or it might not be possible for an inline remote

mcfarfs

Banned
It appears I was partially wrong; you can still get remotes, however they plug into the bottom of the player in the charging/syncing port (which isn't designed to accomodate a remote). This is instead of having a remote plugging into the dedicated remote socket next to the headphone out.

So you can still get remotes, but I don't expect it would be a very tidy one.

jenufa

headphones still plug direct into the phones socket

M

mick's cat

I saw a prototype of the Griffin iFM the other day and it is extremely neat. Only a little bigger than the original Apple remote, but of course has an LCD screen and radio receiver integrated. The earbud socket is on a short flying lead just off the remote (a long lead goes to the iPod, and the short lead is for the earbuds - you can just see the two leads in the photo in the link above), so although it's not in the remote itself, the earbuds don't have to plug into the iPod.

So, in short, third-party remotes are limited only by the manufacturer, not by the dock connector. The old remote connection on 3G/4G iPods was limited to remote controls only. The dock connector on 3G/4G/5G iPods offers all the remote connections and has extra functionality too.

shahedz

Distinguished Member
Doh!! cheers Mick's cat, well i think thats the clencher i may order one now. i dont see myself ever using the tuner but i need a remote. i really like apples own simple remote for the earlier ipods, but who knows maybe they will release one in the future!

D

dskywalker

I used to own vaio pocket. It came with a remote, but i never used it lol. I think the screen was too beautiful and deserve my umost attention. I think there is still going to be a remote, but it doesn't really matter for me.

Trending threads

Top Bottom