• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question New 55inch 4K TV

cwalklate

Standard Member
Hi all, looking for your expertise. Looking to upgrade my TV from a 5 year old 40inch 8000 series Samsung. Was very good and will be a great 2nd TV.

I was looking for what is the best option 55-60inch 4K option for around £1000. Not huge budget but moving house as well. Any ideas? I saw last years Samsung ks7000 on RS cheaper but seems sold out now.

Dodgexander

The KS7000 was really the only decent HDR capable TV at that price level, there aren't any alternatives without taking a hit in quality for HDR, certainly not yet as the 2017 models are still high in price.

What tv is ideal for you depends on your use and what content you plan to utilize, for many people UHD is pointless as they don't sit close or don't take advantage of UHD quality source material. See:
UHD vs FHD

cwalklate

Standard Member
Thanks dodgexander, we will be about 6/7 feet away from the to so it's on the border between uhd and fhd.

The plan is watching sky Q and sports in UHD when available.

Dodgexander

That is about optimum for FHD, you won't want to be any closer to a FHD TV but a UHD tv won't give you much of a quality increase if at all. It wouldn't really be sensible to get a UHD TV unless you go 65". I would stay with what you have or look at the FHD 55" LG 910v OLED. You can find them sometimes on Amazon for less than 1k.

It would be a waste to get Sky Q and all the UHD stuff if you don't sit close enough to really take advantage of it. Besides, for the price the LG 910v will give you better PQ than a similarly priced UHD LCD.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom