New 55" TV!

DDAA

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey - sorry for another one of these threads but there's always tonnes to think about and lots of expert advice on this forum. I've been reading threads and sifting through the site but you can't beat direct questions.

My KDL-W905 broke around 3 years ago and since then I've been using a Panasonic TX-P42x60B but I've finally got a bit of spare cash to upgrade.

My uses are pretty broad, with films and gaming priorities but general TV watching important too as we watch a lot of sports as a family.

Ideally I'd like;

- Good upscaling of regular Blu rays as well as making 4k BRs look lovely.
- Good for playing games - I'll be picking up a PS5 at the beginning of next year hopefully.
- Good at dealing with SD/HD content from freeview/freesat/streaming services.

My budget is around £1000 but I would stretch that by a few hundred if it would make a massive difference and I'm looking at 55" models.

I wanted to go OLED and something like the B9 or GZ950 seemed to fit the bill but then I made the mistake of reading too much and hearing about issues of screen burn and motion processing - problems I know you've all answered a million times but worrying non the less. So I did a bit more reading and saw good things about the Q90R which is currently a pretty similar price and purportedly decent for movie watching for an LCD - but then made the same mistake and read about all manner of issues in the user thread and beyond.

Are there other models I should be considering or is one of those three going to match my needs pretty well? Or should I just wait until the Panasonic dies and hope things have moved on?

Motion is in the eye of the beholder. The chances are if you are happy with the motion on your current Panasonic, you aren't going to unhappy with the motion on a newer Panasonic. The same with Sony.

But I'd advise you consider the Philips 7 series or 8 series OLED, the 8 series has been reduced to your budget at Costco I believe and has very good motion processing. The closest Sony would be the AG8, but I think its still over budget, perhaps there will be a deal on that TV in the future too though.

Philips/Sony tend to have motion that people get along with the most. Thats not to say you won't find Panasonic or LGs motion fine, most people do.

If you want the best overall TV, the LG B9 ticks the most boxes because it uses HDMI 2.1 ports and has the best smart platform. It however has remained at around 1k for some time, whilst the others have been reduced, really making the higher tier C9 more comparable to the other OLEDs I mention.

If I were you i'd hold off buying for now and keep your eye open for a reduction of the LG C9, which will be the bees knees for gaming and the best overall option. If however your priority is sport>games then consider a Sony or Philips OLED.

OLED Burn In Risk is a thread I wrote regarding burn in. From the data available you can calculate how soon it may be possible for you to receive burn in damage based on your own usage. But the general gist is as long as you have varied usage and don't use content with a lot of static images then you should be fine. If you play FIFA and watch news channels for example, that puts you at much more risk than watching sports or playing call of duty.

Every TV has its issues, and each has their own pro's and cons. Don't assume because you read about it online that you'll encounter the same issue as other people. If you read into everything here on the forum you'll never end up buying a TV! (I know how that goes).

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

Reading that thread pushes me towards an OLED - burn in is my main worry - I guess sports and game HUDs are the biggest risk but it sounds unlikely.

I'll look at the Philips now. The AG8 is down to £1200 which is doable but the C9 is out of stock on both JL and Richer Sounds who both do decent guarantees - am I going to miss much looking at the B9 instead of the C9? The panels are essentially the same aren't they? Wait for it to drop?

Lol, my list is growing!

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

Reading that thread pushes me towards an OLED - burn in is my main worry - I guess sports and game HUDs are the biggest risk but it sounds unlikely.

I'll look at the Philips now. The AG8 is down to £1200 which is doable but the C9 is out of stock on both JL and Richer Sounds who both do decent guarantees - am I going to miss much looking at the B9 instead of the C9? The panels are essentially the same aren't they? Wait for it to drop?

Lol, my list is growing!
Check costco out for the Philips

What are they like for fulfilling guarantees?

What are they like for fulfilling guarantees?
They are an American company, so they have very good customer service, but I believe you have to remain a member (or become a member again) to make a warranty claim.

The advice on the C9 is on the premise its price will also come down in time. What TV is a good deal today, could be a bad deal tomorrow and vice versa. OLED Price Changes is a good thread to follow.

They are an American company, so they have very good customer service, but I believe you have to remain a member (or become a member again) to make a warranty claim.

The advice on the C9 is on the premise its price will also come down in time. What TV is a good deal today, could be a bad deal tomorrow and vice versa. OLED Price Changes is a good thread to follow.
I think if you buy on the website you get the 5 year warranty without been a member

Thanks for your patience guys.

I'm trying to track down a C9 with a decent guarantee but it's not looking too hopeful!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom