Answered New 55' TV

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member
Good evening Guys,

Something like 1 month ago i've bought a PS4 Silm and since i've started playing that i feel the need of a bigger TV, on the PS4 everything looks smaller. I sit at a distance of 2.5 meters from the TV and i only have a 32' Full HD TV.

The TV is connected to 3 devices that dictate most of his uses:
- An ISP TV Box with the normal channels (the max resolution the box can output is 1080i)
- Chromecast that i use to stream NetFlix and Youtube (i intend to buy an Ultra when I get the tv)
- PS4 Slim (not PRO)

Extra use: Something that i would like to have, now that i will buy a new TV, is the ability to plug a pendrive with a video into the usb port and beeing able to see it. Nowadays i need to plug the PC to an HDMI port to do so.

Upscaling is one of the most important features to me since 50% of the usage will be from 1080 fonts like the PS4 and the ISP TV Box and I want to prevent the image noise.

The other 50% of the use will be in 4K, Chromecast Ultra and 4k videos from pendrive so, the image quality is also very important.

Not so important are the smart features since I don’t use nothing that I can’t use with chromecast and the sound since i do own an LG SJ2 Soundbar that I bought with the ps4.

The max size that i can fit in the room is 55' and the room light is usually low when I watch TV since I close the blinds most of the time.

My budget is something like £550 but can do a little more if it’s actually worth it, i like to spend my money wisely.

Taking this notes in consideration, can you please tell me whats the best bang for my buck?

Thank you all for your help.

Dodgexander

Extra use: Something that i would like to have, now that i will buy a new TV, is the ability to plug a pendrive with a video into the usb port and beeing able to see it. Nowadays i need to plug the PC to an HDMI port to do so
All TVs support this now but they are limited by the format support of the TVs processing engine, it means that you may have to make sure your rips are not in an unsupported format. This is very different to on windows where with the right software, you can play anything.
Upscaling is one of the most important features to me since 50% of the usage will be from 1080 fonts like the PS4 and the ISP TV Box and I want to prevent the image noise.
Emphasis has never been more on the quality of the source than it is now. At 2.5m away from a 55" TV though you view too far to really benefit from UHD, but at the same TV, it means HD won't look as bad upscaled as it would if you sat nearer to a larger TV. Do not go expecting wonders from UHD at that distance and also do not expect a poor quality source such as broadcast TV to look good when its upscaled compared to on a native panel.

Anything that is good quality HD such as your PS4 is likely going to be fine though.

Should I upgrade? - UHD vs FHD

In your shoes I would probably aim for the 55" Hisense U7A and failing that, the 55" Philips 6 series.
My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition

It does depend on local pricing though.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Chromecast while great does mean content is sent at 60fps regardless of the original frame rate. So movies and other 24fps content can suffer judder. So before going and spending extra I’d try inbuilt apps first. You may find that the chromecast isn’t necessary.

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member
Thank you all for your answers.
I've already read your thread before posting @Dodgexander, i've only posted because i wasnt sure if the upscaling on this type of TV would be a subject worth discussing or not but, from what i can understand from what you said, the upscailing on this price point will be the same on any tv, the tv wont do much for a bad source, is this it?
Anyways, you mentioned the U7A, is it worth it for me to spend more money in comparison to the A6100 or A6500 that you also mention on your topic?
The Philips 6 series from what you say is the same as the A series from Hisense but at a higher price like the U7A, wouldnt be worth it, right?

@zeppelino I prefer the chromecast over TV apps and build-in cast system, i've used chromecast for years and it never failed me so, i guess ill stick to it but ill follow your sugestion and try the apps first then,

Dodgexander

There is a gradual increase in upscaling quality as you go up the ranges of TVs, the U7A will have better upscaling than the A series but it will be hard to know if you would even be able to tell a difference side by side.

If you were to raise your budget a little, a TV like the Samsung NU8000 probably has better upscaling again compared to the Hisense U7A.

Really its more about the quality of the source, you could have a very high end TV and deliver it a poor quality HD source or lower even and it will always look poor.

You'll have to give us an idea of what different models cost locally, I see you are in Portugal? Prices are probably quite different from here and availability may mean the Hisense U7A isn't available?

Generally in the UK the U7A is priced around the same as low-range TVs from other manufacturers, it means you get mid range specs at budget prices compared to the competition that really fall short, especially when you try and find a TV that has good motion+a wide colour gamut.

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member
Hi @Dodgexander
First of all, thank you very much for your answer.
About the prices, here you have the prices of the discussed models.

A6100 - 440€
A6500 - 510€
U7A - 635€

PUS 6753 - 700€

NU8005 - 830€

Other models:

Xf8096 - 830€
Xf8596 - 890€
Xf7096 - 900€
Xf7596 - 780€

All prices are for 55'' size.
Thank you

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Its similar to the UK, the U7A is your best value whilst the Samsung NU8000 gains in vaue a little if you prefer a brighter picture, better smart TV and more UHD compatible HDMI ports. The Samsung NU8000 also has the ability to use motion settings without adding any lag during gaming which you may find useful.

The Sony models are very overpriced.

Be sure you know what panel you get with a TV when you buy it, the Samsung and Hisense are VA type, more suited to a dark room without the need of wide viewing angles.

If you need wide viewing angles, model recommendations change completely and you can no longer get models that perform well in the dark.

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member
@Dodgexander

In my case, i think that the VA panels are the ones that suit me more, when i watch TV or game i usually close the blinds so the sun doesnt hit the panel directly and about the angles, will be mostly watched from the front so, all good.

The extras on the Samsung you described are good, specially the option of having motion settings in game, but i dont think that is enough to make me spend 200€ more in the TV.

I am pretty sure that i will get the U7A, the only thing that i dont really like about it, that made me consider the A6500, is the edge led since i would prefer Direct Led (best light/color uniformity) but, even with this minor con, i think that the U7A will be a better buy with better quality overall.

Once again i would like to thank you all for taking a few minutes of your time to help me with my decision. Cheers.

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member
Direct lit LCD TVs do not have better overall uniformity than edge lit models.

Its only when you add functional local dimming that it can make a difference..for that you would need to go for the Sony XF9005 minimum.
Thank you for the explanation, all this time i was thinking that the Direct Led was better in any circumstance. I am more secure with this purchase now :)

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member
Hello again guys,

I was something like 2 days ago from buying my new TV, I was planning on getting the Samsung 8005 for 800€ but I’ve read that it has some problems like noises coming from the plastic behind it and when you watch something with subtitles, which is my case since i am not a native English speaker, the pictures goes brighter every time the subtitles pop… I don’t feel very comfortable with this…

Anyways, in my country the LG SK9500 is with a significant lower price, which is 900€... It is an IPS panel, something that I don’t really need, but has Direct Led with FALD, 10 bits, etc…

Is this worth it over the 8005? Is it good for gaming too like the 8005?

Thanks

Dodgexander

Hello again guys,

I was something like 2 days ago from buying my new TV, I was planning on getting the Samsung 8005 for 800€ but I’ve read that it has some problems like noises coming from the plastic behind it and when you watch something with subtitles, which is my case since i am not a native English speaker, the pictures goes brighter every time the subtitles pop… I don’t feel very comfortable with this…

Anyways, in my country the LG SK9500 is with a significant lower price, which is 900€... It is an IPS panel, something that I don’t really need, but has Direct Led with FALD, 10 bits, etc…

Is this worth it over the 8005? Is it good for gaming too like the 8005?

Thanks
Have a look at this comparison: Samsung NU8000 vs LG SK9500 Side-by-Side TV Comparison

I would personally choose the NU8000 since It has better blacks and contrast. If you want to avoid light coming from behind the panel you want to avoid IPS type panels.

The subtitle thing is just the same on any TV, even LCD TVs with local dimming and VA type panels you get lighter clouds surrounding the letters. The only way to avoid something like this is to use an OLED. Just because the LG is FALD, does not mean you won't get this kind of behaviour, in fact it will be worse as IPS type panels leak more light through from behind.

More detail about which panel type is best for you. LG=IPS, Samsung=VA: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member
Have a look at this comparison: Samsung NU8000 vs LG SK9500 Side-by-Side TV Comparison

I would personally choose the NU8000 since It has better blacks and contrast. If you want to avoid light coming from behind the panel you want to avoid IPS type panels.

The subtitle thing is just the same on any TV, even LCD TVs with local dimming and VA type panels you get lighter clouds surrounding the letters. The only way to avoid something like this is to use an OLED. Just because the LG is FALD, does not mean you won't get this kind of behaviour, in fact it will be worse as IPS type panels leak more light through from behind.

More detail about which panel type is best for you. LG=IPS, Samsung=VA: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?
Thank you for your answer.
I will check the comparison for sure.

The thing is that the brightness changes in total, i mean, all the panel gets brighter, not only around the subtitles... If you look for it you Will understand what i mean since most peopple have this issue...

Dodgexander

The thing is that the brightness changes in total, i mean, all the panel gets brighter, not only around the subtitles... If you look for it you Will understand what i mean since most peopple have this issue...
I know what you are saying, but the effect will be worse on a FALD TV. You'll get torchlighting instead around the subtitles rather than an overall gain in brightness across the TV.

If you like the sound of that better, then by all means you have a very good price on that LG, go for it.

I'd be scared of going for the LG personally just because I know how much worse IPS panels can leak light compared to VA. So even whilst its back-lighting system is better, its still not using a panel that blocks light from behind so well.

The nicest balance for you would be the best of both worlds with something like the Sony XF9005.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Depending on if the source allows, changing the colour of subtitles will help with this issue.

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member

I mean, could you stand this for a whole movie for example? I know i wouldnt for sure...
And the worst part? Samsung refuses to admit that this is a problem or a bug, they claim that this is a feature, ridiculous...

I dont really know what you mean by torchlighting effect around the subtitles but i guess that it cant be worse than this... The XF9005 would be a nice bet but the price difference between this and the B8 is 150€, at least here in Portugal so, i would go for the OLED without looking back.

I would really prefer a VA panel but i dont really feel like dealing with this kind of problem of the samsung, ill probably get the SK9500 nless you tell me that is likely for the B8 to lower the price even more, in this case i would wait a little longer.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
It’s not a problem or a bug. It’s to do with the edge lit backlight system.

The B8 will probably drop a little bit more in price in the coming weeks as retailers get the B9 in.

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member
It’s not a problem or a bug. It’s to do with the edge lit backlight system.

The B8 will probably drop a little bit more in price in the coming weeks as retailers get the B9 in.
Have you checked the video?

You are basically saying that this is a common thing with every single edgelit panel, wich isnt true. I have an LG edgelit at home and this doesnt happen in any circumstance... So this is indeed a problem with this samsunt tv and with some Qled ones aswell from what i've seen...

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Yes. I checked the video. And yes that’s what I’m saying.

Your LG in all likelihood isn’t as bright so it won’t be as noticeable.

Can you change the colour of the subtitles?

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member
Yes. I checked the video. And yes that’s what I’m saying.

Your LG in all likelihood isn’t as bright so it won’t be as noticeable.

Can you change the colour of the subtitles?
I do not own the tv, i was about to though xD
Ffrom what i know it is possible to change the subtitles colors on the netflix app...

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
I do not own the tv, i was about to though xD
Ffrom what i know it is possible to change the subtitles colors on the netflix app...
Oh right. If the retailer will allow you try testing the models you’re considering.

Coloured subtitles mean the problem is almost eliminated as the backlight doesn’t need to light up them to provide the white letters.

Dodgexander

It looks to me like the backlight is on a high amount, you've gotta remember if you are using HDR and the backlights of the TV are on full (by design) you are going to have this problem more with an edge lit model. This isn't like it used to be a few years back, TVs like the NU8000 can get 5x more brighter and for HDR standards, the NU8000 doesn't even get bright enough!.

All the LG SK9500 will do instead is have clouds around the subtitles (or any brighter highlight) as its IPS panel struggles to block light through from behind.

The XF9005 will also have clouds, but not as bad, as at least it uses a VA type panel.

To be frank with you, you need to choose and buy a TV and see it for yourself, you can't judge based on a Youtube video, you don't know how they have the TV setup, how they film. It looks like they filmed it with their phone - Phones are notoriously bad at picking out dark pictures and you don't know how over-exposed they set it.

To make comparisons with such videos you need the same viewing environment, same ISO and exposure set on the camera. Same camera even. You can see from the rtings.com test for local dimming how the TV performs in the dark - that will be more accurate than some random video on youtube.

Also, a little bit of advice from me (an older timer round these parts) - do not read too much into the problems of TVs, no TV is perfect and most people will post when they have a problem compared to when they do not. Everyone I've known has been more than happy with the NU8000 and this is the first time I have seen any complaint like it.

Just make sure you can return the TV if you are unhappy, check with the retailer first.

FilipeCarvalho

Novice Member
I dont feel confortable at all getting this TV anymore, you probably didnt heard any problems since most of you guys on the UK dont use subtitles, most of the content created worlwide is in English.. In my country i have lots of peopple talking about this, i am not basing myself on one single opinion or video, its a major issue.

Ill probably get the Sk9500 for 900€ unless the B8 by any means comes down to 1100€ or so in the next days. Like you said, there is no such thing as perfect TV and i prefer to live with the problems from the SK9500 then the problems from the Samsung.

Thank you all for answering once again and sorry for wasting your time.

Dodgexander

I dont feel confortable at all getting this TV anymore, you probably didnt heard any problems since most of you guys on the UK dont use subtitles, most of the content created worlwide is in English.. In my country i have lots of peopple talking about this, i am not basing myself on one single opinion or video, its a major issue.
A lot of people use subtitles here, if we have posts from people stating they get burn in from them in the OLED section then I don't think that its a case that we don't have people using them. Not just that but whilst the majority of people who post here are from the UK, there are also people (like yourself) who are not. Sorry to say it but I think that this is a non-issue and you will probably be surprised how little you notice it if you got the TV. Especially if you are not using HDR and you have the TV set up right. With HDR- there is not much you can ever do without having a TV with local dimming.
Ill probably get the Sk9500 for 900€ unless the B8 by any means comes down to 1100€ or so in the next days. Like you said, there is no such thing as perfect TV and i prefer to live with the problems from the SK9500 then the problems from the Samsung.
If you prefer to have more control globally on the dimming the LG will be better. It will have some clouding around the subtitles in moves where the subtitles are over the black. Best way to show that would be using the rtings.com example images:
SK9500:

NU8000:

Perhaps you prefer having local dimming rather than no local dimming but the clouding around the white parts would be more distracting for me. I see this already with my own TV and that is using a VA type panel so I know it will cope better than the LG with IPS.

Every TV has its shortfalls, there isn't a perfect model, unfortunately.

Thank you all for answering once again and sorry for wasting your time.
You aren't wasting anyone's time buddy. We are here because we have all been through the path of choosing a TV before and we know how complicated it is with all the issues you can read (and see) online. When I say that its best to just focus on what you make of the TV yourself and not read so much into what others say I mean it, only because I have seen it a thousand times.

Anyhow, you have a very good price on the SK9500 and its still a cracking TV. Overall its a very good package and I am sure you will enjoy the TV. At the end of the day you will probably be more than happy with either and they should be a great improvement over your previous model.

Good luck:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett