New 55" TV Advice between 3 OLED and 3 LCD

Fireblade77

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i would like your help in choosing a new tv between the Sony KD55XH9505 and the Sony KD55A8 OLED or the Samsung QE55Q90T or Q95T or the LG OLED 55CX5LB or is the Panasonic TX-55HZ100B worth the £200 more than the rest ?
I currently have the Panasonic 50" CX802B which is about 5yrs old and i am in a bright room but i dont find my tv i have now a problem unless the sun is beating through the window then i just close the curtains.
Are the OLED tv's less bright than my current tv ?
The one thing i hate about my Panasonic is the dirty screen effect when watching programs with panning shots like F1 and you can see the vertical lines over the tarmac surface or grass on football matches so are those LCD tv's above not as bad now or would they still be the same ?
Im not worried about gaming as i have a pc for that.
Thanks for any help.

OLED is the least affected by DSE so if you want to avoid it that is the way to go. OLED is also brighter than your plasma though not as bright as high end LCD's.

However OLED & LCD have inferior motion handling than your plasma. Motion interpolation or black frame insertion are the offered solutions.

BFI on the latest OLED's is pretty good & a better option than motion interpolatio though you do take a hit to brightness as a result of using BFI, the level varies on what intensity to set.

See this recent OLED plasma comparison.

Also as you mentioned you have a lot of sunlight in the room if that sunlight hits the OLED panel it will damage it over the long term, so TV should be in a position were no direct sunlight is on it or get a TV cover.

Thanks for the reply but just one thing my Panasonic CX802B is not a plasma tv but was a high end LCD 5yrs ago. So would the OLED tv be les bright than an older LCD and what you said about sunlight on the panel i would have direct sunlight on the panel later in the afternoon in the summer for about 30mins but from a very side on view angle so would that be a problem ?

Thanks for the reply but just one thing my Panasonic CX802B is not a plasma tv but was a high end LCD 5yrs ago. So would the OLED tv be les bright than an older LCD and what you said about sunlight on the panel i would have direct sunlight on the panel later in the afternoon in the summer for about 30mins but from a very side on view angle so would that be a problem ?

My mistake, as to being brighter from the info I could find yes but not by a large amount.
Sony A8H peak brightness SDR is 316 cd/m2 and peak HDR is 654 cd/m2
Panasonic CX802 peak HDR is 427 cd/m2

I dont know, 30 mins evey day for a few months might be fine or not, I guess it depends on how long you intened to hold onto this TV for. Get a TV cover and use it during those months is the easiest solution.

Moved to the correct section.
My advice:

1. First decide on a display technology

Once you have decided on LCD or OLED, it narrows your choice down.
2. Best buys are all here:

Hi how are you getting on with your choices? I’m in exactly the same boat my 802b has just given up the ghost and I’m looking at the same TVs you are.

Hi how are you getting on with your choices? I’m in exactly the same boat my 802b has just given up the ghost and I’m looking at the same TVs you are.
I have ordered the Sony xg9505 and its coming on Saturday so I can give my thoughts on Sunday but this is the 1st time I've bought without seeing it in the flesh but you can always send back if its no good.

That’s top of my list at the mo. Gonna miss the 802 it’s going to be a hard act to follow. I never really experienced dirty screen just a bit of black band on sky scenes. The 9505 gets some good reviews but going to look at qled on the advice from the guy in the shop

That’s top of my list at the mo. Gonna miss the 802 it’s going to be a hard act to follow. I never really experienced dirty screen just a bit of black band on sky scenes. The 9505 gets some good reviews but going to look at qled on the advice from the guy in the shop
Just so you know (because I know what salesman can be like). Shops may employ reps directly from each company to promote their own TVs. Be careful to make sure the advice you have given is from an independent source, and not one of the known manufacturer reps that roam the shop floor swaying you away from rival TVs.

As for QLED itself, its nothing more than marketing developed initially by Samsung to make it seem like its a rival to OLED. Simply put, its not a rival. It's not a new display technology like OLED is and QLED TVs are still just LCD TVs.

So there's nothing special about Samsung 'QLED' models that makes them better than Sony, in many ways Sony are better TVs. Especially with higher end models, which at similar price points Samsung models are currently overpriced.

Thank you for the heads up. The salesman is the same guy who recommended the 802 to back in 2016, Only said to look at qled as I hate edge lit led TVs after hating my old Samsung due to edge bleed and worried about screen burn on a telly used mainly for news and day time tv. But still want best performing tv at reasonable price

Last edited:
What you want is a FALD TV like your old model. QLED/Edge lighting doesn't really have anything to do with it, there have been been edge lit FALD in the past.

If you are shopping for an LCD TV the Sony XH9505 is best value right now. The closest priced Samsung is the Q80T which is all round a worse TV and more expensive. Whilst the even more expensive Q90T is about the Sony's equal, but also costs a lot more.

Samsungs prices are currently on the high side, but as they settle down the Q90T should get reduced a bit.

But all the TVs mentioned will be a big improvement over what you're using now and have Full Array Local Dimming. (FALD).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom