new 55" screen

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by junneh, Jul 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. junneh

junneh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Recently I bought a 43 inch XE70 for monitor use and am thoroughly impressed with the quality for the price.

Im now looking to grab a new screen for the living room which will serve for more general TV use (Movies, sports, normal tv, some gaming)

I would like something with a better app selection then sony and also a VA screen.

Im also looking to go budget again, its good enough for me.

I am looking at these tv"s

Sony KD55xe70 - This is VA right? Small app selection, but nice screen. Not sure if sturdy in bigger size on the Sony stand.

Philips 55pus 6162 - IPS but really cheap (450 euro)... Hearing different reports on input lag, apparently updated and now around 30ms instead of 120+ ? Bad Smart Os

Philips 55pus 6503 - Newer model with better SmartOS and VA screen? top contender. Worth it for 600euro?

Are there any other 55"with VA for cheap? Most of it seems IPS.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    How much do TVs in the mid range fetch in NL compared to those?

Probably Samsung MU7000 is cheapest but maybe there will be good prices on the MU8000, MU9000, Sony XE85xx series and Panasonic 58EX750..maybe even Panasonic 58EX700 (sometimes EXW700/EX703 in EU) and Hisense 55N6800 too. The Samsung models would be best if you value OS usability. Potentially you can spend a little more to get quite a bit more quality and a decent OS too.

Failing those at a good price, which should be a step up from the low range models you are looking at, the Sony XE70xx is a good bet, you at least know it comes with a VA panel and you know where you stand with the OS which you can probably upgrade with an external solution like a Roku cheaply anyway.

The Philips models are a gamble, Philips told flatpanelshd.com their 6 series models would be a mixture of VA and IPS and usually they end up being IPS, in this instance I doubt the 6503 will be any better than last years 6162 you are looking at...both Philips also come with their own smart platform, not the higher end Android TV. The Platform on the Philips won't be too different to your current Sony.

Cheaper Samsung TVs like the Philips models are a panel gamble, they come with the same good smart TV as higher end Samsungs but they also are 50/50 whether you get IPS/VA.

3. junneh

junneh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the Sony will be the best option with an external like you said. Its the only one to come for sure with a VA, and has the best price here. Cost 600.

The Panasonics here are all about 150 more expensive, not worth it I guess.

I went to the store and the 55pus6503 is definetly an IPS screen. The 50 is the VA as usual. The os is linux as is the Sony low end, but it seems abit more logical (xe70 menu style is as japanese as it gets... text everywhere and stuff buried deep inside menu's. Atleast its fast. )

Most of the midrange models are either sold out in 55 or are still at 800-900 euros. Seeing im pretty amazed by the 43 sony it will be fine with a low end model. (Although if given the choice id take Samsung for my living room, my friend has VA 50mu6100.. The OS is seriously nice, and the upscaling seems better too, but Im also pretty sure the 55 will come with crappy PLS again..)

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    The gap in pricing seems quite high compared to here then. The MU7000 I have seen at £700 here whilst the Sony is £600 so that's why I mentioned trying to find that model. It has many different variants too depending on region or aesthetics, here we have MU7000 and MU7070 too but any preceding MU70xx digits are the same TV. Potentially this will be the cheapest of the midrange and will get you integrated decent smart TV and a VA panel, a 120hz one even.

If the Panasonic 58EX750 is only £150 more expensive it's worth it over the Sony XE70xx models, not for the EX700.

Otherwise yes the Sony's are best value.

I guess Hisense have no availability since you haven't mentioned them.

5. junneh

junneh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hisense is only sold through one retailer (German models) and they are a general mail order company with too high prices.

That Mu70xx specs are interesting, but the price here is not. most are still selling it for about 1k euros. Meanwhile all the low end models are getting heavy discounts.

Also got a deal for an LG 55 635ujv for only 450.... choices choices ;).