Question New 55/65 inch TV to replace old Panasonic TX-37LZD80

morph421

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for new TV to replace old Panasonic tv. Can fit 55 or 65 inch and sit 2.8m from screen hence slight preference for 65 inch

I like the wide viewing angle of current TV (guess it must be IPS) but our seating is up to 35 degrees from centre which may be too much for VA panel. What I did not like about current TV was banding in large areas such as clouds or darkness - a lack of detail and colour changing in fading areas if you will.

Have read excellent guide from Dodgexander and in particular HDR requirements i.e min of Q70R or equivalent.

Unfortunately budget is around £600 or slightly higher. Don't really use streaming services apart from Now TV movies occasionally. Watch a lot of blu ray movies and recently got basic Netflix package which I am getting into. Family tend to watch kids channels / normal Freesat HD channels and don't care about quality like I do. I don't like screen judder but don't really see this problem on current TV (current 50hz IPS). Don't use TV for games.

Also have an old Sanyo Z3 projector that I only use occasionally now.

Thinking of either just forgetting HDR for now and getting 65inch (for big screen experience) LG UM7400 or Hisense B7500/U7B depending upon viewing angles.

Or alternatively getting a 55 inch LG9010 which I presume must be ok for HDR? (Richer Sounds are recommending this one) or an alternative 55 inch TV that is better than the 65 inch ones - VA if angles allow ?(and does not have judder). Most watching on tv is with some light on or minimal light occasionally.

Any advice appreciated thanks .

Last edited:
I have this TV

Thanks tvdavid.... you happy with this TV? Not looking for perfection (can't with budget) just something that gets me 90% of the way there... .

if you keep the lights on the LG TVs are fine for dark rooms get a VA screen.

Thanks.

Is 35 degree angle ok for VA panel. Refllections and light on screen are not an issue. Anyone know the HDR capability of the LG SM 9010 ? Think choice will be between basic 65inch or more advanced 55 inch but will only go this route if future proofed for HDR...

The LG SM9010 is in the guide in the 65" section but not 55" because it doesn't represent good value when the Samsung Q80R is sitting close to it in price.

The Q80R is an ample HDR performer with high peak brightness compared to the LG. The LG does not have good HDR hardware, in particular because its using an IPS type panel despite having decent dimming it can't push out high brightness which is needed for HDR.

The Q80R (or more preferably the Q85R if you can step up again) is a much better overall TV and despite using a VA type panel has a wide viewing angle filter which gives the TV acceptable viewing angles compared to lower tier models using the same panel type.

Once you get to this kind of budget though, you are creeping near to OLED prices at 55", and soon hopefully it won't be long until we see OLEDs like the LG B9 or Philips OLED754 getting reduced beneath the 1k mark. They will give you the best all-round picture quality.

If you consider refurbs you could buy a Panasonic or Sony OLED within budget probably:

Thanks Dodgexander. At 55inch the LG is £675 at RS ; cheapest 55Q80R I can find is £850 and above budget.

Maybe I am better off just getting a cheaper display for now (or wait for refurb to come up). Will 35 degrees be ok for VA panel?

Is time on your side? I don't think the LG is a particularly great deal even with £75 off.

I'd personally be considering a refurb OLED in your shoes, or going for the Q80R or more preferably the Q85R.

If you can position your TV or viewing to be direct in front only, the Sony XF9005 is available at £900 with another 10% off right now on John Lewis:

That would be a lot better than the rest of the TVs you are considering sans the aforementioned Q80R.

Budget is of course important, so if you need to buy and you can't wait for a better deal to pop along on a new TV buying a low range TV is certainly an option as a stop gap.

Thanks again.... current TV is on its way out and need to get something within a week. Will probably save for now and just get a 55 inch stop gap TV instead. So its the LG 55um7400 or hisense 55u7b at costco / B7500 or Roku one from Argos. Whislt some people will sit directly in front, some will be at 35 degrees and this cannot change. Is this too much for the budget hisense TVs? I believe the hisense would have a better picture than the LG

Last edited:
get the LG 55um7400

Thanks Tvdavid... just remeasured again..its 29/30 degree angle - right on the limit within the guide - would you still recommend the LG 7400 over Hisense 7500 / u7b?

Hisense 7500 for the better contrast

If you are within 30 degrees go for the Sony XF9005 if you can, the Samsung Q70R would be an alternative.

If looking at cheaper TVs the Hisense B7500 is good, but there have also been deals recently on the 65" U8B which is a mid range model. The guide is split up into different panel types and ranges so recommendations would be the same as there.

Will be going to cheaper one for now thanks - either Hisense 55b7500 or 55u7b - both similar prices at costco / RS / Jlewis etc. If they are exactly the same (with extra HDMI and bluetooth on the u7B) then may as well get the U7B. Shame they don't have freesat on board.

If you want freesat your options are more limited.

You could go for the 58" Samsung RU7100. Downsides are: It still only has a single tuner so there's no recording support. Compared to similar performing Hisense models it also poor value for money. It's also only available from Curry's.

You could go for the 55" Samsung RU8000. Downside are they are very hard to find now, as most places are out of stock. It also has only a single tuner.

You could go for the 55" Samsung Q60R. Downside is its more expensive and no better than the RU8000. It does have dual tuners though.

If you are only interested in watching live TV you may consider spending more for those models. I'm not sure what price you put on wanting the freesat tuner.

If you are interested in recording one channel while watching another, then you should go for the Q60R or stick with a designated tuner box. A tuner box is likely going to be more user friendly, with better software to schedule recordings but using the integrated tuner will likely yield better picture quality.

Thanks. I don't record so thats not an issue. Did not really look at Samsung before... currys one looks good (not seen before as normally avoid them). I have separate humax freesat tuner but would prefer integral for less clutter.

Worth noting it's not worth overthinking this too much. I know you want value for money and all, but any modern TV is going to a noticeable upgrade over your old set.

The inlaws got themselves a Samsung RU7xxx to replace their failing Phillips plasma. That would be a massive improvement over your current set, and should be in budget.

Thanks all for your input. Knowing its limitations I ended up with an LG 65UM7400. Straight out of the box, the picture from this TV has exceeded my expectations and at this size is fantastic. I can see why this is recommended for its price :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom