1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 50" Pioneer owners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kangaroojack, Oct 9, 2004.

1. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have heard from the new 435 owners and generally seem happy with the PQ but a little dissapointed with the overall quality (appearance) of the panel. Any owners with the new 5th generation 50" care to comment?

2. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I don't think they are available yet in the uk

3. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I just realised it looks like a November release for the 50".

4. OnebetterBuycom

OnebetterBuycom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we are still hoping to get them in next week, spoke to pioneer yesterday and although delayed they are still "hoping" for next week :)

5. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have ordered my 505XDE which will arrive two weeks this friday :clap:

Will post details of what I think of the picture quality. I was holding back for a while due to hearing that the 435 picture wasn't as clear with the colours esp. the black but that might have been a biased view from one major high street review mag.

I can't see how it can be a poor pic so will let you know what I think of it.

If anyone else already has there's can you post comments to let us know of the overall quality please.

Thanks.

6. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the 50" with a HD signal from Astra.
    There's only one word for it STUNNING.
    However the screen was to big for me in inches and in Euros.
    So I got the 435.
    Can't say that I am dissapointed with the design of the screen.

I think there are only two things that should be improved.
    - The black values. Is acceptable but for the price it should be better.
    - Ceefax is slow and not easy to use.

I only got the set yesterday so it's still 'happy happy joy joy' overhere.

7. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Glad your enjoying your 435.

Thanks for your comments.

I am aware that normal TV viewing through an NTL box is v poor and although Sky + is superior with picture quality it does depend on the channel - i.e. box office is very good - some shopping channels (not that I would sit clued to those channels is poor). Other people I know said the 435 is good for these normal channels but due to the size of the 505 there is a noticeable difference but the main point for its purchase is HDMI connection with either an HDMI DVD player or PC with DV-I to HDMI output into the new tuner. Connection to the previous 504 with a Ps2 (cough) with component connection and same with Xbox is VERY GOOD, so I am expecting the 505 to be even better. I am not fussed with the poor quality of terrestrial TV otherwise I would have stuck to a CRT.

Any happy 505xde owners out there would like to share their views??

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can really tell that it's a bigger screen in both ways. When you use the really clear freeview channels on the 435 but can clearly see the poor quality in the broadcast on the 505. But with a DV79 playing through HDMI the picture is almost as clear and detailed as the 435. Can't wait for HDTV.

9. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Hello all

I received my 505XDE last Friday (along with an 868AVi and a AX5Ai) from AV-Land. :clap: At the moment the screen is still boxed as I'm waiting for a couple of friends to come round next Wendesday to hang it on the wall etc. So I'll post a fuller review next week.

I would like to make one point about AV-Land... They are absolutely brilliant! :thumbsup: I dealt with Luke and Kingsley. They chased Pioneer on my behalf, as they (Pioneer) were playing silly buggers. AV-Land said that they would deliver the screen between 20:00-20:30 on that Friday evening and it arrived bang on 20:00!

Moosh

10. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sounds great. Let us know what the picture quality is like. The 868AVi is a good bit of kit. Did you not consider using a PC for screening DVD's as the picture quality is also extremely high through the DVI (from PC) to HDMI input on the plasma tuner.

I have been to AV Land as well, I agree they are very helpful in that store - did you have a demo on the shuttle on the plasma before you bought it? The HDTV of LOTR through the DVI output to HDMI input on the plasma blew away any DVD I have seen.

Let us know bout the picture :)

Cheers

11. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    id have to say i have dealt with av land in the last few weeks, i spoke to libby i think it was and found the service and communication throughout to be fantastic

12. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Hello all again

Right then, the 505 is mounted on the wall (was mounted last Wednesday - I'll post pictures as soon as the room is finshed) and I've been putting it through it's paces since then...

The Equipment/Supplier:
    Rack: SoundStyle ST310/AV-Land.co.uk
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-868AVi/AV-Land.co.uk
    Amplifier: Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai/AV-Land.co.uk
    Speakers: 7 Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro/Wocester Hi-Fi
    Sub woofer: Anthony Gallo MPS-150/Worcester Hi-Fi
    And obviously the PDP-505XDE plasma screen/AV-Land.co.uk

Setup/Installation was amazingly simple. A couple of friends helped me put the screen up on the wall (be warned - it is quite heavy).
    Media box to amp: optical
    Media box to DVD: HDMI
    DVD player to amp: Firewire (iLink)

Analogue & Digital Television
    The television reception in this rea is poor to say the least, even though we've had the aerial upgraded and re-aligned. The poor quality of Freeview is very visible on the 50" screen, with artifacting showing up like there's no tomorrow. Any fast moving scene shows up like sick running down a restaurant window. And yes, I do know what that looks like... You should ask my wife! :D

DVD's
    We invited some friends round on Saturday for some nosh and to watch a couple of films - Finding Nemo and Master and Commander. The sound was superb and the picture quality was crystal clear! We'd never noticed the scales on the fish before or the colour depth.

Master and Commander was also stunning, again both the picture and sound quality were stunning. I must admit that I did have to turn the brightness up slightly because the dark scenes within the ship were very over powering.

The 868 is a very nice piece of kit but there is a noticable delay when the layer changes. :rolleyes:

Conclusion
    All in all, we are very happy with the screen, the amp and DVD player.

Next items on the list - a DVD recorder and fancy remote control... :D

Moosh

PS: I know I mentioned it in an earlier post but the people at AV-Land are super!

13. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    getting more and more excited now :)

My 505xde will be delivered this Thursday morning but not installed till Friday as I need a couple of my mates to help me lift it (I have heard it's not as heavy as the previous model but still not going to lift it on me own!)

Will have a list of DVD's to test out the picture quality as well as Doom 3, Half Life 2 and MOH Pacific Assault on a games PC. Got to try them all to really push it. Should be very high quality visuals on an home cinema dedicated PC for the movies, even better than a 504 (which was stunning).

Instead of buying a DVD recorder why don't you purchase Sky+ instead as will solve your poor TV reception esp. freeview!! But then again I wouldn't say most people buy a decent 50" plasma to watch an episode of Eastenders on it!!

Will let you know on my own results with the major test on Friday.

Let's see ya pics then!! :lease:

14. liveseyd

liveseyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also get my 505 on Sunday, with a bucketload of new kit. Will give a view next week on performance. Better be good, I've mortgaged the wife for this lot!

David

15. rrc

rrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

16. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Hi all

Right here are the pictures as promised:
    [​IMG] Rack & Equipment

[​IMG] Front view of plasma screen

[​IMG] Angled view of screen

And now to answer a few questions:
    I've got an Asus W1000Na laptop (I use for work) that doesn't come with a DVI output and I don't want a new computer... yet! ;)

No NOT Sky!!! I don't watch that much television (the Mrs. does in the evenings) but she's content with all of the soaps. Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Eastenders are still poor quality programs even on a 50" screen! :clown:

Also the picture quality since my last post seems to have improved slightly.

The package I bought was the one with the long speakers and the WM-01 mounting kit. You can see from the pictures that I've attached the speakers using the 'air' kit. Mounting the plasma screen to the wall was easy enough. We didn't bother with the instructions or the big confusing diagram they give us. Just centred the kit to the wall and drilled the centre screw hole etc.

Anyway, I think that's about it.

Cheers
    Moosh :)

17. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I cant see the pics

18. teoterone

teoterone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    [​IMG] (front)
    [​IMG] (side)
    [​IMG] (rack)

20. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Oh, forgot to mention that the PS2 looks absolutely stunning on the display - Way of the Samurai 2! I've got one of those RGB Scart leads that really does do it justice.

21. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Great thread, and after viewing your pictures, you've answered one of my important questions.

I was going to ask "Is it safe to hang one of these Plasma screens above a fireplace?".

Just bought a new house, and in the main room, I'm planning on getting one of these 50" Pioneer Plasma screens to hang on the wall above the fireplace.

Can anybody recommend a place where I should consider getting it from? A wall bracket too.
    I live in the West Midlands.

I've seen the screen on www.empiredirect.co.uk for £3,700 which looks like a pretty good deal to me!

Has anybody experienced any screen burns with these sets?

Thanks,
    Parm

22. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmahmed, I am interested how you hooked up your PS2 to the Pioneer, could you explain how you did to get best PQ.

23. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Its not recommended to hang them up there, as A) there generally too high for comfortable viewing and B) Yes they can get to hot.

24. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    I ordered a Joytech cable from play.com which was £6.99 inc. delivery. I then just connected this up to input 1 on the media box. I also connected an optical cable between the PS2 and amp and activated the connector through the PS2 menu.

Both of the above are true but do a search on this topic and you'll find that there is good advice with the rights and wrongs. Try this link http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv-questions/plasmatvfire_1.html

Also it doesn't really affect me as the fireplace has never worked since we moved into the house and we have reclining chairs - for that complete lazy feel! :D Or you could invest in a tilting wall bracket. :)

25. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Those pics look lush. Mine is now also setup. I would advise for a PS2 to use RGB scart - I am using a IXOS cable which is £25.00 which def does the biz. I would also recommend QED cables - some people rate Monster but comparing them (and was an expensive time having to buy and compare) they didn't rate up in my opinoin. Have checked out some cheaper cables and looks :censored: The better the cable the more stunning picture but you need to be prepared to fork out the extra cash - and also trying to convince the missus :eek:

When you purchase a good quality plasma (as in the 505XDE) then you shouldn't skrimp on any cables as your not doing your visual any justice at all..... It's like buying a new car and putting the cheapest oil you can find in the engine!! :thumbsdow Optical is clear on the PS2 but doesn't give dolby digital sound - The XBOX does so depending on your setup and how many optical inputs u have on your amp I would put the DVD player, Xbox, and PC (if you have one connected) via optical. If you have a sky + box this is also a good idea!

I would say that running the PC through this plasma is extremely high quality viewing DVD's - far better than most DVD players out there as I tested it on a Pioneer DV-668AV. Once the DVI (from the PC) into the HDMI port on the plasma tuner is optimized (although I am having a bit of a problem with that bit at the mo) it will blow anything else out of othe water. It depends what sort of movies avi's etc you want to view - If your dedicated to watching DVD movies then an HDMI DVD player would produce a quality visual. If you want more than DVD's than a PC would be the better option along with a superior visual. You do need a good spec PC and for the price of HDMI DVD players you could build one or for a little bit more purchase a ready built one which will give you a much better machine for all round viewing. It depends on one's budget and requirements. A P4 CPU runs quieter than Athlon's as they don't overheat that much and I would also recommend a cooler system for the CPU as they are silent and will maintain a constant temperature in the machine.

26. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Parm,

I have had no screen burns on my set at all or anyone else I know. It's down to common sense.

That is a good price from empire direct. Are you thinking of purchasing an extended warrenty as it only comes with one year? If you are not interested in a 5 year warrenty then buy it from the cheapest place online you can find. If you want piece of mind (i.e. if a few pixels go within the next 3-4 years) then I would def get an extended warrenty as they would replace it (depending on how many and the location of the pixels) If the plasma should (and hopefully it never will) die on you after the 1st year then you have got a seriously expensive bit of kit on your hands and nothing you could do about it after the year warrenty has gone. Some peoples plasmas go for years and years without any breakdown or any dead pixels but you never know.

Empire direct do the extended 3 year warrenty but that works quite a lot more. You could purchase the plasma from John Lewis as they will price match another store (but they have to have a showroom not internet only) and they give you a 5 year warrenty included in the price. The trick is to find a shop that sells the plasma online and in their store for the online price. This is what I did, took a while to shop around but I managed to get mine with the table top stand and speakers for £4599.99 with a 5 year warrenty and no delivery charge. If you don't want the speakers or stand then sell them on ebay and get more money back so you could then pocket the difference in how much the wall bracket will cost you. (make sure your wall can take the weight - although the plasma is lighter than previous models) It depends on your budget but I weighed up the extended warrenty option as you don't want a plasma with 3 dead pixels right in the middle of the screen after the 1st year and there is :censored: all you would be able to do about it outside of the warrenty. Don't get me wrong, normally I wouldn't go for extended warrenties i.e. a shop selling you a £9.00 warrenty on a £14.00 product to cover it for 2 more years which is a complete waste of time but when you looking at this beast of a plasma I would recommend it. If you need help sourcing a shop that John Lewis will match then let me know.

One last thing - I would suggest you also check that your house insurance covers the plasma against accidently damage, fire & theft as one of my mates with a plasma found out it wasn't covered when it fell over - his insurance cover was only for a single value item up to £2000 so he lost out big time (was the previous model tho not that there is anything wrong with the 504). Alot of people forget to look into this and won't cost that much more to list it with one's insurer for an extra £30-£50 a year.

:thumbsup:

27. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Esure took 20 quid off me for insurance of my 434.

An HDMI player (Samsung 945) is now available for under 200 quid. [SACD/DVD-A/DIVX]

28. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That's good - Esure took £36.00 for my 505.

£200 for an HDMI player?? What's the player like? That's v cheap so wonder what the quality is like... NE 1 know?

29. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    oooh, thanks for the response guys.

aarontp,

Screen burns are a concern of mine cause we currently have a 40" Toshiba Rear Projection TV, and we've managed to burn it. Although, it was clearly user error. We've had the TV for quite a few years now and never had a problem with it, until mother dear accidently put the brightness setting on preset 1 (the extreme one) and left it on a radio station on sky for a few hours. :eek:

Does the Pioneer have any anti burn features? Such as turning itself off automatically after not being used for 2 hours or something.

The warranty is a good point. In the past, I've always had a negative view of guarantee's, they just rip you off most of the time. A warranty on a set like this is definately worth thinking about. I'll have a fish around to see what I can find.

The home insurance does include single items up to £5000. :D
    My brother in law warned me about this one.

The wall itself should be strong enough for the TV, its one of the exterior walls, so I should hope so. hehehe.
    I will need to get myself a wall bracket for the TV, preferably a tilted one. Is it possible to get those on remote control? zzzmmm, tilt back, zzzmmm, tilt forth. Oh the joy. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

Am also on the lookout for a decent sound system. I don't really need something totally amazing, so I probably won't go with seperates. I'll be looking for an all-in-one system thats as good as an all-in-one setup can be.
    If I need better, I'll go down the nearest Showcase cinema. :rolleyes:

Which home cinema system would you guys suggest to go with this screen? Which is the best all-in-one pioneer, and would you recommend it?

Thanks,
    Parm

P.S. I'm hoping to buy before / around the xmas period, I can't wait to watch the Star Wars Trilogy DVD's all over again. :rotfl:

30. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm also a little confused by the model numbers, at www.empiredirect.co.uk we have:

PDP505XDE - £3,794.09

PDP503MXEV - £4,975.62

PDP503HDE - £5,033.84

I thought the XDE was the newest and best set, but those prices have really made me :confused:

Hanging above the fireplace is something I'm gonna have to consider too, if the sets on a tilted wall bracket, viewing won't be a problem.
    The heat from the fireplace might be though. It is however, the ideal positing to have the set. The Sofa's are basically arranged around the fireplace and the room works best that way.